Modding Seachem's The Bag - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Modding Seachem's The Bag

I have a few of "The Bag"s laying around. (the media bags by Seachem that have holes small enough to hold Purigen...) So a few months ago I started making custom size Purigen pouches for my (and friends') nano tanks. My wife calls them "Purigen ketchup packs" because they are similar in size and shape, like to fit in an Azoo Mignon for example. So far, so good but I'm looking for a better way to permanently seal the bags, and come to you fine folks looking for suggestions.

So far I've tried:

-putting edges just past two metal rulers and burning the bag closed. Hit w/ lighter, then squeeze with fingers, repeat. The rulers are there to keep from burning too far up the bag and keep a straight line as I go. I do three sides, fill with Purigen, then seal the forth side.
Pro's: looks clean
Con's: not strong, if I pull or twist with a tiny amount of force it comes loose

-super glue. Works like a champ, looks like a chump
Pro's: it's fast and easy
Con's: it looks terrible and is almost impossible to not get at least a few Purigen balls glued in the seams. My biggest concern however, is that after these are bleach regenned a few times the glue will fail. That and, ideally, I'd like to keep the edges as straight and square as possible to reduce bypass

-sewing with dental floss. May work better with a machine, but sewing by hand takes forever considering I need to triple stitch all the way around to be certain no Purigen leaks out
Pro's: should last a long time and take the bleaching, able to keep edges more accurate
Con's: takes waaayyy too long. uses more Bag for the seams than I'd like, considering these are tiny finished products

Has anyone used a food sealer like this to seal The Bag? Or anything else? It looks like it would work, but probably would make a seam bigger than I want (...but I could trim it down, I suppose...)

I've been very satisfied with the custom size Purigen bags, I just need to refine the process and not spend all day making them. I could see this being a useful thing and would be happy to offer customized Purigen pouches to the nano community. I just need a system I can trust to last and not look like a toddler made it.

All suggestions welcome, thanks for reading!

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
How about something like this?

https://www.uline.com/BL_2253/Tablet...Sealer-Impulse

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Same principle as the food sealer I linked, but I like that uline design better. I order uline products for work so I'll price one out

Anybody have experience heat sealing The Bag?

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode