3Likes
  • 4 Post By splattered
  • 2 Post By GraphicGr8s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cinder Block Stand Configuration

I'm putting together a cinder block stand with 2x4s as the shelf part. I want to put 2 20 gallon longs beside each other on the 2x4 with a 5 foot 6 inch span between the blocks. I'm worried the middle won't have enough support with 2 tanks. Would it be wise to add another cinder block column in the middle to support the two tanks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 08:54 PM
Planted Member

Absolutely. And I'd put foamboard between the tanks and the 2x4s

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 12:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If the 2X are laid down on the 4" side, yes, support will be needed. But if one were to turn the 2X4 on the narrow edge, it is much much stronger. So two ways I might suggest. One is a rectangle with the 2X4 on the narrow edge and held from tipping over by adding a 2X4 at the ends. A block support will certainly make it strong enough but that takes space. I would go with 2X4 laid flat and then support the middle with upright 2X4 "props". Wood standing on end is extremely strong if it can't bow, so even something as thin as 1/2" plywood as a center support will do the job IF it is made stronger by adding a plywood or 1X 2 at the front and back of the plywood. Think of it as a wooden upright I-beam?
Which works best for you will depend on how you feel about an easy stack of blocks but lost space or a bit more effort to do props but waste less space.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
If I was going this route , I think I'd put the 2x4's on edge , and use 3 pieces . Skin the top with some 3/8 or 1/2 plywood and you're good to go .
I'm holding 3 10's on 2 2x4's on edge with 1/2 plywood on the top . Span's about 63" or so with no visible deflection .
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 02:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think I'd do the whole thing with 2x4's. Cinder/cement blocks 'seems' easy until you haul a bunch around, but with a little cutting and a box of 2 1/2" screws, a much nicer 2x4" stand can be built.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
I think I'd do the whole thing with 2x4's. Cinder/cement blocks 'seems' easy until you haul a bunch around, but with a little cutting and a box of 2 1/2" screws, a much nicer 2x4" stand can be built.
But for folks who need to stay mobil like college folks, the block stands are easy to break down and fit in cars while the wooden is less easy . They also make great shelves for the storage unit while going home over long breaks!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
But for folks who need to stay mobil like college folks, the block stands are easy to break down and fit in cars while the wooden is less easy . They also make great shelves for the storage unit while going home over long breaks!!
Breaking down a correctly built* wooden stand isn't all that hard. Plus it's lighter and takes up less room.

Tag each joint when you break it down and all the screw holes will line up when you put it together again.

*Correctly built means using a dado joint in the uprights to support the horizontal members. No foam is needed.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 02:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Breaking down a correctly built* wooden stand isn't all that hard. Plus it's lighter and takes up less room.

Tag each joint when you break it down and all the screw holes will line up when you put it together again.

*Correctly built means using a dado joint in the uprights to support the horizontal members. No foam is needed.
I'm pretty sure most college students will just right on that project! I'm not volunteering for explaining that over the phone, for sure! She would have graduated before getting the stand finished.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 06:21 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splattered View Post
Absolutely. And I'd put foamboard between the tanks and the 2x4s

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
2 x 4's are usually neither flat nor straight. You will likely not be supporting your tank equally around the perimeter which can tweak the tank and cause leaks. The fiber board helps even out the support for the tank which keeps it from tweaking and leaking.

+1 for the use of foam board between the tank and 2 x 4's.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oughtsix View Post
2 x 4's are usually neither flat nor straight. You will likely not be supporting your tank equally around the perimeter which can tweak the tank and cause leaks. The fiber board helps even out the support for the tank which keeps it from tweaking and leaking.

+1 for the use of foam board between the tank and 2 x 4's.
Modern rimmed tanks (at least since 1980) can be supported on only the four corners. So long as they are not in a twisted state no support is needed in the middle. If it were my tanks would have all been leaking. And they've been on the metal stands since 1999 when I moved into the present house. 11 years on the same stands before that. And I even had a 10 gallon on one of the 1980 era plastic stands where the center of the plastic shelf would sag away from the rim. I've seen at the farms where they have two pipes running the aisle with tanks on them. Support is only 1/3rd the way in on the long end. Tanks have been there for decades.
one of my buddy's tanks, a 125 is on four blocks. One on each corner.
I've got 25+ tanks supported on the long edge only. And that wood is warped yet no leakers.
xmas_one and xmas_one like this.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 10:16 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Modern rimmed tanks (at least since 1980) can be supported on only the four corners. So long as they are not in a twisted state no support is needed in the middle. If it were my tanks would have all been leaking. And they've been on the metal stands since 1999 when I moved into the present house. 11 years on the same stands before that. And I even had a 10 gallon on one of the 1980 era plastic stands where the center of the plastic shelf would sag away from the rim. I've seen at the farms where they have two pipes running the aisle with tanks on them. Support is only 1/3rd the way in on the long end. Tanks have been there for decades.
one of my buddy's tanks, a 125 is on four blocks. One on each corner.
I've got 25+ tanks supported on the long edge only. And that wood is warped yet no leakers.
Supporting along the edge is all that is needed, as long as the edges are supported equally. When was the last time you saw a straight 2 x 4?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Skip the 2x4s and just use cinder blocks. For standard rimmed glass tanks, as long as the ends of the tank are supported and the supports are plane to one another you're good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oughtsix View Post
Supporting along the edge is all that is needed, as long as the edges are supported equally. When was the last time you saw a straight 2 x 4?
Every 2x has a crown. When I build my racks I put the crown down so that only the 4 corners are supported. Better for the tank if the corners are supported than the middle. That holds up to four foot tanks.
I've seen many tanks supported only on the corners. I've seen them also only supported 1/3 the way in on 2 pipes. The one thing you can't have however is twist. If supporting only the corners of the tank than there can be no gap.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode