How to make your cheap black-rimmed tank look more seamless - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via AIM to LilGreenPuffer Send a message via Skype™ to LilGreenPuffer
How to make your cheap black-rimmed tank look more seamless

Those of us who don't have the money to get those incredible seamless glass cubes and whatnot sometimes run into a dilemma: How do I make my tank look sleeker, less messy on top? Well, for those of us who have typical tanks with black around the rim and base, there is a simple solution for one aspect of this problem: hiding the waterline. Hiding the waterline by raising it extra-high makes tanks look more polished, but when it comes to challenges like heaters that you can't totally submerge below the waterline, compromise just doesn't cut it. That pesky waterline is still there. I know a simple solution to this problem. I found it on another forum, so I take NO credit for the idea. Just take a long strip of black electrical tape and carefully apply it just below the black rim on top. Thus, the top 1/2" or so of your tank looks like a continuation of the rim. You can have your waterline 1/2" below the rim and it's still hidden from sight!

I am cameraless right now, or else I'd show you what mine looks like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 07:25 PM
J-P
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
LGP!! awww booo no pics??
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
I didn't think they still made heaters that couldn't be fully submerged. Who uses them anyway? heh

Good idea, but id get a new submersible or inline heater before sacrificing another 1/2 from the top of the tank due to the electrical tape.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
yeah.... I'd get a new heater.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
there's a reason you cant submerge them, they aren't waterproof, who the heck would stick an item that isn't water tight into their fish tank these days, when the submersible ones are just as inexpensive? granted I still have a few of the old clunkers kicking around just because I don't throw stuff out. but I dont use 'em. god that's scary, you'll only need to get lit one good time off your fish tank before you reconsider the extra three or four bucks the watertight ones cost.

on a side note: I had an old 55 oak trim, I couldn't stand the look of the plastic trim in oak, so I wrapped it in wide electrical tape. I dont think anyone ever noticed it was tape instead of actual black plastic trim.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefkprZ View Post
there's a reason you cant submerge them, they aren't waterproof, who the heck would stick an item that isn't water tight into their fish tank these days, when the submersible ones are just as inexpensive? granted I still have a few of the old clunkers kicking around just because I don't throw stuff out. but I dont use 'em. god that's scary, you'll only need to get lit one good time off your fish tank before you reconsider the extra three or four bucks the watertight ones cost.

on a side note: I had an old 55 oak trim, I couldn't stand the look of the plastic trim in oak, so I wrapped it in wide electrical tape. I dont think anyone ever noticed it was tape instead of actual black plastic trim.
LOL. One of my first experiences with water and electricity together was from a cracked heater back in the day. I was only 12 and my dad told me to feed the fish... POW!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to LilGreenPuffer Send a message via Skype™ to LilGreenPuffer
A couple of my heaters have "maximum water lines" marked on them, so I am always careful of that. They're good quality (Jager, etc.), but they say not to immerse the very top. I can't afford to replace them until they're worn out. If you have the $$$ to replace functional equipment, more power to you, but I sure don't!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-P View Post
LGP!! awww booo no pics??
Hey there, J-P!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 04:39 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
Quote:
If you have the $$$ to replace functional equipment, more power to you, but I sure don't!
I consider unsubmersible heaters disfunctional :P
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
I consider unsubmersible heaters disfunctional :P
from a safety/fire hazard standpoint I do too.

if you can ruin a piece of fish tank equipment by putting it in water, it shouldn't be partially submerged in your fish tank. the risks are just to high in my opinion. but I have been lit by siphoning water from a container with a heater in it when the water touched my tounge the lights went out and I was laying on the floor without knowing how I got there. it was enough to adjust my world view on crappy heaters.

OP I totally understand not having the money to superfluously replace stuff, but I wouldn't consider that superfluous, I would treat it as a necessity. Over the many years I have been in the aquatic hobby I have seen some really scary stuff, power strips mounted without drip loops burst into flames HOB style heaters totally slag themselves and come home to a house full of smoke, tank bottom catastrophic failures dumping the entire contents of the tank on all the equipment that was "safely under the stand" basicly enough stuff to know that evne the most basic precautions can save huge headaches later. I for one don't want to have to replace the entire contents of my house (family included) just because I bought a cheaper heater, some things like your family members or your own life are irreplaceable. ok getting off my soapbox now.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think that they are safe as long as they're not constantly underwater. Jagers are considered top-of-the-line.

That said, if I could get my dormitory replaced if I destroyed it with a bad heater, that might be a good option. Maybe they'd build one that doesn't have mold falling from the shower ceiling in big cold wet clumps... I could have a heat vent in my room... Windows that open and close, even... Air conditioning...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode