Yep you guessed it, co2 reactor help - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 4 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yep you guessed it, co2 reactor help

Ok, so I'd like to build a reactor for my 80g. I've built one before and it didn't turn out very well. I'm not sure what style would be best or how big to make it. The filter I'm using is a aquatop cf-400 and I'm also using a inline heater. I'd like to know what size pipe to use, best place to place the co2 line, I'm also planning to add my ph probe. Thanksgiving for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 01:47 PM
Planted Member

I'm making a massive one out of 3" (u.s.)pvc. It's going on one of two 1"pvc outlets into the tank from a reefer style overflow. I'm filling it up with bioballs. Still sourcing hardware for the co2 line into the reactor

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Ok, so I'd like to build a reactor for my 80g. I've built one before and it didn't turn out very well. I'm not sure what style would be best or how big to make it. The filter I'm using is a aquatop cf-400 and I'm also using a inline heater. I'd like to know what size pipe to use, best place to place the co2 line, I'm also planning to add my ph probe. Thanksgiving for the help
The thing I would be concerned with is your flow. Adding a reactor plus and inline heater might reduce your flow a fair amount. Maybe consider adding a second filter to run the reactor?

I use a 2" PVC by 20" Rex Grigg's style on my 75.

As for building one, you tube has a bunch of good videos. Some people get pretty fancy and use clear PVC and coloured fittings, but standard plain old white PVC works just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipfinger View Post
The thing I would be concerned with is your flow. Adding a reactor plus and inline heater might reduce your flow a fair amount. Maybe consider adding a second filter to run the reactor?

I use a 2" PVC by 20" Rex Grigg's style on my 75.

As for building one, you tube has a bunch of good videos. Some people get pretty fancy and use clear PVC and coloured fittings, but standard plain old white PVC works just fine.

Does it matter about where the co2 enters ? I've seen people place them all over the place lol it gets confusing
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 02:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Does it matter about where the co2 enters ? I've seen people place them all over the place lol it gets confusing
In a rex style, preferably near the top

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am super happy with my build, it's in my signature.
If you already have an inline heater you can omit it from my design.

Askhole :

Someone who asks for advice, then does the exact opposite.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Buddha View Post
I am super happy with my build, it's in my signature.

If you already have an inline heater you can omit it from my design.

That's pretty sweet. I already have my hydor 300w inline heater tho. Where did you get that compression fitting for the heater from. I could use one like that for my ph probe
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like to go as simple as possible to avoid adding lots of faults to a design if that design works. The original Rex Griggs reactor worked well enough that we still call it a Grigg's even if the design has been changed so much that there are now complaints!
This link will get you to the first design site I have found from the Grigg's himself. I stick totally to this plan and it has worked on tanks from 20 to 125 gallon. I do not recommend changing or adding to the AT ALL!
http://rotalabutterfly.com/rex-grigg/diy-reactor.htm
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What size pipe would get the best flow ?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
What size pipe would get the best flow ?
I rarely vary my reactor pipe size as it doesn't seem to effect flow much but the fittings are critical to flow. I think of water flow somewhat like traffic flow. If it has points like fittings which are much smaller diameter inside than the pipe or tubing it restricts flow. Also sharp bends like 90 degree fittings tend to slow thing more than large sweeping curves.
So I see how I can lay it out so that the water comes from the canister to the reactor in a big curve and directly down into the center of the rector. One way I find to avoid the big bubble inside is to also use the Griggs method of making the CO2 enter in the middle of that stream of water. Ever noticed how the flow near the bank of a river is slower than the center? I feel one mistake made is to let the CO2 enter along the sidewall where it can go to the top without much problem and then it can set there to make noise.
But many who want a Griggs reactor do not trust the work Mr. Griggs did!
Aceman, Aceman, Aqua99 and 1 others like this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 03:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
That's pretty sweet. I already have my hydor 300w inline heater tho. Where did you get that compression fitting for the heater from. I could use one like that for my ph probe
Heyco.com for the fittings, they have all sorts of sizes too so I'm sure you could do the ph probe easily.
I've had issues with hydor failures, dealt with their warranty department once and that was enough for me.
What I like about the design I did was I can use any heater I please, and if I need to swap it out it's very easy.

I built identical reactors on both my 65g and my 90g. No complaints. I also have a Griggs I built on my 40b, it gets the job done and is simple. I extended the co2 input to the center of the reactor as well as plantedrich stated. I find sometimes I do get a co2 buildup every now and then in the Griggs though, probably not enough flow combined with the elbows. When I get around to it I will build a third one for that tank as well as I prefer the one in my signature.

Askhole :

Someone who asks for advice, then does the exact opposite.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode