Anyone know where to find sheets of styrofoam? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Anyone know where to find sheets of styrofoam?

I would like to cover the rear, sides, and front of my 26-G with sheets of styrofoam (.25-.50") to help it retain heat during the winter months.

I plan to keep it over the rear full time, and have velcro-removable sides & front. Ghetto, I know, but I'm a stickler for stable water temps.

I was thinking of checking a craft store, but interested in other ideas.

Thanks,

John P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Try any of the big box home improvement centers. The last time I bought some styrofoam sheets was from Orchard Supply. Besides striaght styrofoam you can also buy rigid insulation which has the foil laminations on the outside.

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Bill ... there's an arts & crafts place nearby with an OSH across the street.

John P.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Try Michael's or Jo-Ann's

Eheim Pimp Club Member #74
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 09:48 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
home depot type chains have this stuff...but it's a 4'x8' sheet, in varying thicknesses. Extruded Foam Board...pink in color.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteroaltum
Would it not be easier to just buy a heater?
I have a 200-watt inline Hydor heater as well as a 100-watt Ebo Jager submersible. On a 26-Gallon tank! 300 watts that would make. The tank's in a garage in Laguna Beach, CA, where it dips down to the high 40sF some nights in the winter. Rather than line the back wall of the aquarium with heaters, or having a space heater warm the garage 24 x 7, this seems like a more rational idea for night heat. My temp on the tank would dip to the high 60s without it.

I just returned from Home Depot--they had the right stuff @ ~$2 R-Tech foam insulation boards. Already cut and applied. Done!

John P.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 10:36 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Loews carries white styro sheets in a 5pk of 4 x 2 x 0.50 sheets. Home Depot used to carry same product but no longer does. Costs about 4.99 for the pkg.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 05:35 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Something else to consider is something like Reflectix Foil Insulation, which I bought from Lowe's. At 5/16" thick, it has a small airspace in the form of a "bubble wrap" core but it's main insulation comes from reflecting radiant transfer.

In my case, the only place in my house where I could place my 90-gal was in front of a baseboard radiator. I reduced the output as much as I could but some heat was getting trapped in my stand. Rather than replumb the radiator out of the loop (there are only two in the room), I stapled Reflectix to the back of the stand...problem solved. I plan to tape some on the back of the tank itself (and perhaps on the bottom), as well as make up an emergency blanket in case of power outage.

I initially looked at the rigid foam insulations at Lowe's but this seemed much easier to work with (cut with scissors, staple or tape in place), I could double it if needed, and I have quite a bit left over for other projects.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Comparing different materials like styrofoam, foil insulation, airbubble wrap (j/k), foam insulation, camping insulation mats, extruded whatnot... what is the best insulator for the money and a given thickness?

I have a tank in the garage, same issue, temps dropping to the lower 30's in Winter, good insulation on all sides is a must. Right now I am using Carpet insulation (stuff that goes under a carpet) but I am not sure it's the best insulator.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode