I need some DIY genious ! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I need some DIY genious !

Hello all -

Since the cabinet under my corner tank is small, I knew how crowded it was going to be when I installed a 10 pound CO2 bottle underneath. It arrived and wow it's tight down there. Add to that the fact that Denver gets really hot in the summer and we have no AC, and the cabinet really cooks in the summer time.

I realized that there is a huge closet right on the other side of the wall and if I could punch a hole in the wall, I could put everything on the other side. It would really only add a foot or so to the cable/hose/tube run and it would get ALL the electronics and motors out of there which will help with heat.

I drilled an exploratory hole and sure enough, it's totally hollow and only 6 inches through including drywall. I used a 2 inch hole bit and opened it up and it looks perfect for my need!

But, how to clean up and seal the hole? To avoid any issues with moisture/anything I think I can just inject a bunch of great stuff expanding foam and get a seal around the hole, so sealing isn't a problem. But, I'd like to put some kind of duct to make it cosmetically reasonable.

I thought of using a dryer duct - a nice 4 inch metal duct. I think they make end pieces that aren't too ugly. Does anyone have an idea to put a sort of duct into the wall so that it will look OK and have irregular edges (lots of AC etc. will go through) ?

The dryer duct is my best idea! thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." — Socrates

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
I don't know, but DUDE how can you live in the hot and dry without an AC? I would have blood spurting out of nose everyday if I didn't have one..

One thing I want to know how you plan on sealing the hole if and when you decide to move!! O_O The potential buyer is gonna be like,*removed*

Last edited by sewingalot; 10-28-2010 at 04:39 PM. Reason: pg appropriate content only, please!
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 11:11 PM
J-P
Planted Tank Obsessed

yea don't seal the hole... in the electronics section there is a rubber gasket you can buy that will wrap around the edge of the hole protecting the drywall. It is basically an "O" ring with a lip on it that fits into the hole for these kinds of situations.

A pvc gasket is another way to go. It just screws in and has the hole to run your tubing through.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
exactly what jp said i wouldnt get anything rigid like a dryer duct pvc would be better for pushing/pulling something through so it doesnt get snagged. sealing the hole is easy its trying to make textures match that can be a pain.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
please don't spray foam your walls...

if you ever had to remove any of it for any reason... its a bad idea... period

use the gaskets

Stop Arresting Responsible Adults!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SunSun Pimp #39
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 12:18 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
They also make plastic rounds for desks with cord drill-thru. They have about a 2" ID and a flange. One for each side + PVC or venting hose to bridge the gap.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 01:26 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
The dryer vent doesn't sound like a bad idea at all really. You could get one of these and remove the louvers.

A not as attractive option, but still inexpensive, would be to use a couple of shower drain flanges connected with pvc through the wall.

Sam
SunSun Pimp #36

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Marel View Post
I don't know, but DUDE how can you live in the hot and dry without an AC? I would have blood spurting out of nose everyday if I didn't have one..
I grew up with AC but most of my adult life I lived in LA with no air conditioning. Hot and DRY is easy, it's the humidity that kills you! We have no air conditioning in Thailand either, and it can get pretty hot. We aren't on the electric grid so we couldn't have AC if we wanted it! You get used to it after a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Marel View Post
One thing I want to know how you plan on sealing the hole if and when you decide to move!! O_O The potential buyer is gonna be like *removed*
Drywall patch is super easy to do. It will be a pretty conspicuous hole if it's not sealed up - from the office closet right into the living room!

Last edited by sewingalot; 10-28-2010 at 04:52 PM. Reason: cleaning up quoted message.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
Whaaa..? You live out n the country or what?

Anyways, I actually get nosebleeds cuz its not humid enough. My doc says I have a mass of blood vessels right at the surface inside my upper area of my nose and the dryness causes the skin and vessels that are attached to crack open with the slightess movement. I also get nosebleeds and other problems from consuming certain things. My parents call this condition 熱氣 (yeet hei) which literally means hot air, not sure what an English disease equivalent would be.

Oh interesting, about the dry wall thingy. I don't think I would be good at patching things up. Actually I'm not very handy dandy, cuz I was hammering nails and almost all of them broke in half.

Anyways, when you start this project take pics!! So I can visualize it and see a hole in the wall xD
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Here's the tank in the living room.

Here's the closet - you can see the little tap hole I drilled on the lower right wall. That little white round thing on floor next to the tank is the plug from the hole - easy to put back in. My own little control room in there!

View from the kitchen you can sort of see how they are oriented, with the closet behind the wall where the refrigerator is.

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseofZoo View Post
The dryer vent doesn't sound like a bad idea at all really. You could get one of these and remove the louvers.
That's a pretty good idea, and with the louvers neatly removed it will look good enough for a closet for sure!

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
How big of a hole are you going to keep? This size?
http://www.cabinetparts.com/p/worksp...ions-TRR135BL/

Can be found at HD, lowes, etc. Easy peasy.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
if you need more space, drill the holes in a line.... http://www.cabinetparts.com/g/cable-...rommets/#mini4
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
im a carpenter and cuting and filling drywall holes is nothing really
put a small level against drywall and cut square hole with razor knive
useing edge or level as guide

when you want to patch hole screw in backing (thin strips of plywood behind hole with some on drywall side some on hole side)
cut out square of drywall to fit hole and screw into place with drywall screws or keep original piece you cut out , even better

if you use round cutout saw just keep cut out section
when replacing insert backing as described and screw in
cover joints with meshed drywall tape , apply drywall compound sand , re -apply, sand , paint done
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 06:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
How much do you love those garbage cans? We have the regular shape version not the long ones. Well worth the $100. Sometimes I just open it to watch the lid close... lol.

Thats a great idea to keep stuff in that closet. I wanted to do something similar but the wife didnt like drilling holes in the wall.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode