LED Floodlight - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KrypleBerry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking LED Floodlight

I want to highly light a 38 gallon aquarium 36 by 12 and 20 inches deep.

How many watts/lumens do I need to get high light for a carpet? 50W 30W 10W

I'm guessing 2 30W or 50W LED flood light my dimensions.

Has anyone used a specific brand?

Can you dim certain lights?

Please help, Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 08:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I get great results using a 50w 6500k flood from no ebay links allowed Its grown everything I throw at it. My tank is also about 20 inches tall. I keep mine mounted 3 inches above the water surface with a 3 1/2 inch deep substrate layer. Keep in mind these tend to have 120 degree angles to light distribution and can be unpleasant for viewing if not guarded when mounted high. Putting this light on my tank made co2 mandatory as well as a significant increase in my macro dosing. Photo for reference. I wouldnt expect each light to properly light more than an 18"x18" area. This tank is 13"x13".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170806-080755_1503217129055.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	782937  

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Should I use a 30W or 50W LED floodlights?

Also what substrate do you have?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 04:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahm2002 View Post
Should I use a 30W or 50W LED floodlights?

Also what substrate do you have?
I tried 30w and some of my plants were really in need of more light, my A Reineckii minis love the high light co2 and root tabs. I wanted to have all options open plant wise (I like stem plants) without breaking my pockets so i went with the 50w for 20 dollars. I used caribsea floramax black substrate with Aqua Solum humate capped with a thin layer of caribsea instant aquarium white sand Moonlight I believe its called. I used the sand to get my Monte Carlo carpet going and chose that brand because I used their saltwater sand in my reefs for years with no complaints. Having just a few sprigs of Monte Carlo to start with I burried them horizontally into the sand and waited for them to root in and grow. Only took 3 days to root in. I use api root tabs to feed my root feeders (higher npk than flourish tabs), and tropica specialized along with seachem flourish comprehensive, and api co2 booster. I do 2 weekly water changes of 30% and use reverse osmosis with seachem equilibrium added to balance gh. To adress the lack of co2 I set up a double 2 liter diy yeast and sugar co2 system. The co2 line ends with a cheap air stone under my koralia type powerhead that chops the bubbles finer and spreads them evenly through the entire water column. My drop checker stays more yellow than green and I get a ph drop from 7.5 to 6.4 with it running in my system. While the diy co2 works amazingly well I am switching over to pressurized co2 because a 20 lb tank would be relatively hassle free and considerably cheaper in the long run with a decent regulator allowing me to run co2 to multiple amd larger tanks. Ill be getting the fluval fresh and plant 2.0 for my upgrade project for its user features and quality of build. Would have tried one sooner but its 6x the price. Lol This flood has worked surprisingly well I must admit. The color spectrum isnt bad either.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Do you know how many lumens your light puts out?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

4500-5000 lumens. Its really the par that matters most for our purpose though. I sent you a pm with a link to my light to save you some searching. Not all leds are made equal.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 04:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrypleBerry View Post
4500-5000 lumens. Its really the par that matters most for our purpose though. I sent you a pm with a link to my light to save you some searching. Not all leds are made equal.
Would you be able to post the link publicly? That way more people can find this light that has been working well for you!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWEBLAST View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrypleBerry View Post
Would you be able to post the link publicly? That way more people can find this light that has been working well for you!
Ill look and see if I can find it. The 50w light is 1 year old now. I am using a 100w led flood on a 60 gallon cube now. I love it, and 60 or so dollars compared to 260 or more to light this tank is hard to argue with. Heres the link to the newish 100w light.

https://www.21ledusa.com/Flood_light...e_p/fl100w.htm

The 50w light is an SMD 50w 6500k Flood light, Ill find the seller on ebay I got it from and share a link. The 100w is awesome for my 2'x2' cube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180213-210831_1519235050111.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	831370  

rjugas likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode