DIY High Lighting? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY High Lighting?

So I have these old aquarium fluorescent tube lights.

The first thing I did was take out the parts of the dual light fixtures and mount them then re wire everything back up.

So my big question is 8 CFL that replaces 60W bulbs using 13W at 800 lumens each considered high lighting over a 38 gallon aquarium 36 inches long 12 inches deep 20 inches tall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
sufficent to grow plants. yes. but high light prolly not. problem with CFL is tere not very efficent and getting light down in that configuration. here is a good picture to illustrate that. also reflectore play a big part in this.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I did use a reflective roll of aluminum, would this be considered medium/high or just medium light.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 01:21 PM
Planted Member

Low/medium, more on the medium side.

Par down at the bottom will not be very good, and those CFLs tend to lose a great deal of PAR after about six months of use, especially if not well ventilated.

You might want to look into using some COB LED based lighting for this, DIY setups using the Vero arrays are affordable, efficient, and when you choose the high CRI chips they look great.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 01:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by micahm2002 View Post
I did use a reflective roll of aluminum, would this be considered medium/high or just medium light.
@micahm2002, notice the difference between the CFL in the horizontal versus vertical positions in post #2. For more PAR I suggest a clamp lamp fixture so that the CFL bulb can be in the vertical position like this: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10...-solution.html

Last edited by dcutl002; 08-19-2017 at 01:40 PM. Reason: grammar
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 03:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahm2002 View Post
So I have these old aquarium fluorescent tube lights.

The first thing I did was take out the parts of the dual light fixtures and mount them then re wire everything back up.

So my big question is 8 CFL that replaces 60W bulbs using 13W at 800 lumens each considered high lighting over a 38 gallon aquarium 36 inches long 12 inches deep 20 inches tall?
Check out how I retrofitted those old Aqueon hoods:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10...imming-v3.html

Based on the number of 3W leds used, it should be equal to a GreenElement Evo Quad, which is considered high light. I know that I'm using mine on the middle setting and I am getting amazing growth.

LEDs have much higher lumen/density; imo the only way to get high light from a single Aqueon style bar is to use LEDs. When there is that much light, there is also heat and they needed a small fan to circulate air.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode