Diy co2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By rich147

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Diy co2

hi all just like to say hello as this is my first post. i have just set up a diy co2 reactor off eBay with citric acid and baking soda. once i understood how to set this up it seems pretty much genius whoever came up with it but i have issues!

i have set it up on a brand new tank which is 60ltr with the hope of trying a few plants in there without the danger of wiping out all my discus in my display and I'm having trouble getting the colour checker to go green enough, infact i emptied the 600ml acid bottle in 2 days with bubble counter going 3 or 4 drops per second!! trying to achieve this. I'm wondering if the co2 is just rising and bursting into mostly open air as i have read this should last best part of two weeks?? any ideas please?
Igvas and Igvas like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 05:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich147 View Post
hi all just like to say hello as this is my first post. i have just set up a diy co2 reactor off eBay with citric acid and baking soda. once i understood how to set this up it seems pretty much genius whoever came up with it but i have issues!

i have set it up on a brand new tank which is 60ltr with the hope of trying a few plants in there without the danger of wiping out all my discus in my display and I'm having trouble getting the colour checker to go green enough, infact i emptied the 600ml acid bottle in 2 days with bubble counter going 3 or 4 drops per second!! trying to achieve this. I'm wondering if the co2 is just rising and bursting into mostly open air as i have read this should last best part of two weeks?? any ideas please?
I havent run DIY Co2, but the way the CO2 is dissolved into the water makes a big difference.

What kind of reactor or diffuser are you using? To get the most efficiency from your CO2, a reactor is best, but IDK if they can be used with diy co2.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich147 View Post

What kind of diffuser are you using? Also make sure you don't have any leaks. Even at 3 bps using all the citric acid in 2 days seems like a lot. Are you running it 24 hrs a day?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 10:09 PM
Algae Grower

I have run this diy citric acid /baking soda system before (bar type). You probably have a leak somewhere if u ran out in 2 days, (no pressure on the meter) or all of the acid flowed over to the soda side.

The ball on the acid side tube has a metal core. You'll have to get a strong magnet and use that to control how much acid can be drawn over. Usually you just need it to be about 1/4 inch below the surface.

As for which diffuser, the Riggs reactor would be the best option. A ladder type is the next best option. Ceramic diffusers /atomizers are not recommended as the diy cannot maintain enough pressure for long.

For a 60L tank, I would highly recommend u go pressurized. The diy requires u to constantly monitor it all the time, if the pressure drops, you'll need to readjust the needle valve to maintain your bps.

And with the fluctuating bps, you're asking for algae issues.

I know, I've been thru it

Sent from my SM-G9287C using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It seems like you should pick up a better diffuser. Maybe buy one at your LFS or online?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

- Adam

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode