DIY CO2 Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
DIY CO2 Help

I have decided to go ahead and start a diy co2 system, so i came to this forum hoping for a sticky with all of the steps to it. Does anyone know of a site or post were i can find all the info i need in 1 spot?

So much to learn!
Going big on something so small
EBI Journal;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hurricane Irene left my house with no power and led to the death of this tank. R.I.P. Piranhas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Utube DIY CO2 thats what i did they have step by step instructions.

USMC SGT TYPE
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just did that and found great info... YouTube is awesome.

So much to learn!
EBI Journal;

Hurricane Irene left my house with no power and led to the death of this tank. R.I.P. Piranhas.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok. So i did some research and have a good idea on how to make a DIY CO2 reactor and bubble counter. Now for a diffuser I found that a tiny power head seems to be the best way to go. Placing it near my hob filter so the bubbles that do escape will be suck up and then re-defuse. My questions are; Are there any other good ways to defuse the co2? What do i do at night when the plants don't need co2? can i valve it off or will that create to much pressure in the system? Or should i just turn the power head off, and maybe add an air pump and air stone to add oxygen at night?

So much to learn!
EBI Journal;

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 05:09 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
There are various methods of CO2 diffusion in addition to the one you mentioned. For example, some of the glass diffusers with ceramic discs work with DIY CO2 (while others don't, so caveat emptor.

As for at night, you can turn the power head off (i.e. put it on a timer) so that the CO2 is not efficiently diffused. As additional insurance, you can also add an air pump and airstone to create more surface agitation at night, which will increase gas exchange (an airstone does not introduce oxygen into the water directly).

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 06:01 AM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
Just put warm (100*f-110*f) water 2/3rds the way up a two liter bottle, dump 2 cups of sugar, one packet of yeast and you got it, should last up to a month. For the cap just drill a hole and make the end of the airline pointy by cutting it and use pliers to pull it through and use hot glue for it or something that will make it air-tight. Use a airstone as a diffuser or a something like that. Pretty easy really.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 06:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i just started using the DIY CO2 on my 10g saturday, should i stop dosing my daily 1mL of excel every morning?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
you can find all info here, I'm using this method for over an year
http://freshwater-aquarium-passion.b...injection.html

- for people with passion for aquariums
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
As for at night, you can turn the power head off (i.e. put it on a timer) so that the CO2 is not efficiently diffused. As additional insurance, you can also add an air pump and airstone to create more surface agitation at night, which will increase gas exchange (an airstone does not introduce oxygen into the water directly).
Thanks for the info, it is very useful.

So much to learn!
EBI Journal;

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Could i use this diffuser or will it only work with a pressurized system?
http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co...5mm-sprio.html

So much to learn!
EBI Journal;

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Haven't tried one of those but I have with several other glass diffusers. All that I have tested work fine with a DIY setup.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Awesome

So much to learn!
EBI Journal;

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
My power head seemed to be working just fine, but I wondered how much different using a ceramic diffuser would be. Hooked the tube up to a cheap (less than 10 bucks w/ shipping) plastic/ceramic ebay diffuser. A few hours, pressure was building, no bubbles. Crossed my fingers and went to bed, hoping not to wake up to the sound of a soda bottle exploding.

Next morning, diffuser was working great. 2L bottle was much more pressurized, but still softer than an unopened soda bottle after being shaken. Many times more bubbles (over a several second period, hundreds vs. dozens from just the powerhead), and far far smaller. With the powerhead blowing over the top of the diffuser, the CO2 bubbles stay in the water column for many times longer.

My thinking is that smaller bubbles equals greater total surface area, and staying in the water longer equals more time to diffuse, both of which mean that more CO2 becomes dissolved into the water. Anybody care to agree or disagree?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 11:35 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
okay. did some calculations. a spherical bubble with a radius of 1 has a surface area of 12.56. (A=4*pi*r^2) It also has a volume of 4.19. (V=4/3*pi*r^3)

divide that bubble into two bubbles and you get a volume of 2.095 per bubble. plug that into the volume calculation and you get a radius of .79. plug that radius back into area calculation and you get a surface area of 7.91. multiply that by two (for two bubbles instead of the original one) and you get a total surface area of 15.835, which is more surface area than for just one bubble.

now, that's just math. Whether or not I'm right about more surface area equaling greater CO2 absorption, well, that's for somebody with more experience than me (or knows anything about hard science) to say
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

can you PM me the link to where you bought your eBay diffuser if possible. im currently using an airstone positioned just under the bottom of my intake. many bubbles are getting sucked into it, which is awesome.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode