DIY Controller - survey - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
DIY Controller - survey

Hi All,

I am thinking to build a new controller for my other tank, and not sure yet which direction to go.

I did myself an iAqua, from scratch. I am very happy with it. Did some changes in the code (like three pumps, different scheduling, etc) - you can find it somewhere in that thread. Pic of the two boxes below. It was very rewarding experience, thanks to the members of this forum.

A safe bet would be to do it again, but maybe something else, more challenging? Maybe based on Raspberry Pi?

I was wandering, what controllers for planted tanks (or tanks in general) are actually worth building and more importantly are doable. By doable I mean you built it to the end, it has decent documentation, and it has step-by-step guide available on net similar to iAqua. Please share your take on this: link, pros and cons, maybe some pictures of your built.

PS: at some point, when i was building iAqua (2015) i remember we had a thread on a controller, arduino based, with larger screens. I think it got banned or something. Did somebody actually built that project, and maybe can share the docs and the code?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3199.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	779889  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3295.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	779897  

46 Bowfront:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CAPS - Chicago Aquatic Plant Society
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 01:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am in the midst of a build using a RPI and Node-Red got the better part of it done and was about to bring it online and share it. Buuuuuttttt.... I broke it with some new code and didn't have a backup. I am piecing it back together. I have all the code it was just the Pi I messed up. It does EC pH Lights tracked to sun angle dosing with calibration and all kinds of chart data. It has web interface that works equally well on the phone. If interested more than happy to share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Guilt in Life...
No Fear in Death!!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

diverjoe, that sounds great! Hope you get it debugged soon. It would be nice if you could share the project, with some details/documentation on how you built it. thanks!
ya, one thing that I wish to get to is to have a web interface control, and a little bit faster than my current arduino iAqua.

46 Bowfront:

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 06:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Go buy a Pi and I will set out an image file you can download onto a 32gb micro sd card. You can then look at the whole thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Guilt in Life...
No Fear in Death!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have already a Pi with linux installed on it. And a bunch of arduinos around too

46 Bowfront:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode