truck lighting? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Highseq

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
truck lighting?

I'm building a new plywood tank and I'm looking at lighting options.

I made the thing 48 inches wide so I could mount some t12 LED bulbs inside just under the top supports, but in a brain fart moment I made the outside dimensions 48 inches instead of the inside, so I'm looking at other lighting options.

I've got four top supports, two on the sides and two 18 inches in from either side, leaving me with three holes that are about 9 inches wide and 33 inches deep, Which coincidentally leaves me with wood at the exact locations to mount a 32 inch LED truck light over each hole, like these here: 32 inch LED light strip

Anyone played with these before? They pretty obviously aren't really 180W (probably closer to 60W), and the ratings thrown around ranging from 13000 to 15000 lumens is almost certainly a lie, but they're probably better than the 30 inch Beamsworks aquarium lights? They claim to be 6500K range, so they might not be complete garbage as tank lights for my 28+ inches of water depth?

I was planning to order a few brands, run a PAR test on each, and return whatever is garbage for a couple dollars restocking fees, but I figured I'd see if anyone had used them at all before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 09:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by evultrole View Post
I'm building a new plywood tank and I'm looking at lighting options.

I made the thing 48 inches wide so I could mount some t12 LED bulbs inside just under the top supports, but in a brain fart moment I made the outside dimensions 48 inches instead of the inside, so I'm looking at other lighting options.

I've got four top supports, two on the sides and two 18 inches in from either side, leaving me with three holes that are about 9 inches wide and 33 inches deep, Which coincidentally leaves me with wood at the exact locations to mount a 32 inch LED truck light over each hole, like these here: 32 inch LED light strip

Anyone played with these before? They pretty obviously aren't really 180W (probably closer to 60W), and the ratings thrown around ranging from 13000 to 15000 lumens is almost certainly a lie, but they're probably better than the 30 inch Beamsworks aquarium lights? They claim to be 6500K range, so they might not be complete garbage as tank lights for my 28+ inches of water depth?

I was planning to order a few brands, run a PAR test on each, and return whatever is garbage for a couple dollars restocking fees, but I figured I'd see if anyone had used them at all before?
Wait how do you plan on powering those? I'm sure you are already aware but isn't the operative voltage on those for a car, in the 10-15 volt range?

As to how they would work.. I'm not sure but they are probably bright as hell. Definitely would be interested to see those PAR tests.
geisterwald and geisterwald like this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I run a computer repair shop, so I've got dozens of high wattage power supplies laying around that can supply a 20Amp+ 12v current without issue with 85% efficiency, which is good enough for me anyway. I should be able to run 3 of these off of a single 700W unit without issue.

They're nearly silent anymore, and you can pretty easily hide them towards the back in something as deep as this. Already have a bunch scattered around the house powering my 3d printers and things, and I don't hear them anymore. They're a lot quieter than most air-pumps anyway.

Last edited by evultrole; 08-07-2017 at 09:13 AM. Reason: punctuation

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
SPOT/FLOOD COMBO: Spot&Flood COMBO beam let you have a clear and wide vision in the rain, fog, snow and other adverse weather.
Dual lensing is annoying..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EKZ5B72?th=1

this shows reflectors not lenses.. which leads me to believe they would be easier to remove and keep water proof..

Quote:
DC 10V-30V operating voltage range
That large of a range makes me suspect they actually use constant current circuitry..

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I haven't seen those lights specifically, but the ones I have on my truck are BLINDING bright. Like... light up the road a half mile away bright. I would also be curious to see the PAR rating lol.

https://www.amazon.com/Rigidhorse-Cu...%2Blights&th=1

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellopuddinpop View Post
I haven't seen those lights specifically, but the ones I have on my truck are BLINDING bright. Like... light up the road a half mile away bright. I would also be curious to see the PAR rating lol.

https://www.amazon.com/Rigidhorse-Cu...%2Blights&th=1
Yeah, I believe those are probably a lot closer to what they say than the cheaper $30 models. Biggest question in my mind is the number of people who report 1/3 of the lights going out after a short time. Have you had issues with that? I assume it's just bad weather sealing in most cases, but they won't be getting wet in my use (unless I have to net a fish for some reason)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Dual lensing is annoying..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EKZ5B72?th=1

this shows reflectors not lenses.. which leads me to believe they would be easier to remove and keep water proof..
I wasn't really planning to remove them, since the mounts line up with my tank edges pretty well, though popping two out of the casing and attaching them under my center mounts might work as well as using three attached to the outside, depending on how bright they are. I'll pick up at least one without lenses and see if it seems to make a big difference

I was just going to center them over the holes, front to back, and point them down. Assuming they aren't complete garbage

Quote:
That large of a range makes me suspect they actually use constant current circuitry..
Is that a problem? All I've ever heard in the way of criticism is that it produces more heat?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 10:59 PM
Planted Member

I would imagine the heat could be an issue for an aquarium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My father's day
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A new 120g is coming!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A huge number of the reviews suggest that they really only pull about 6A, which is a little above 80W at alternator voltage, and most of the heat involved should go out the fins in the back. Thinking of just mounting the entire assembly outside the tank facing down. I've tried to add a photo to explain but for whatever reason the forum deleted the post before it went live.

People's multimeter reviews on other similar products suggest that they are about 1W per light, so this is really a 60W setup, which is 25% more lights and 30% cheaper than competing aquarium products. I wouldn't expect them to be any hotter, really, cause chinese products pretty much always lie about performance (like those 600 gph ebay pumps which take about 30 minutes to empty a 50 gal barrel)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode