4 foot diy stand - - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: What Tank size Should I get?
Stick with the 55 gallon 0 0%
get a 75 gallon! 4 50.00%
get a 90 gallon! 2 25.00%
get a 110 gallon! 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
4 foot diy stand -

I bought a 55 gallon tank a few months ago, but before doing so I drew up plans to create my first DIY tank stand. Moving from 10 gallon to a 55 gallon, I had a need for a stand to support it instead of putting it on the same desk I used the 10 gallon for. I had the choice of buying a stand that was on sale, but I thought it would be fun to make my own, choose the stain and gloss etc. Home depot helped me with all the supplies and I built the frame, sanded it, cut the trims, stained, polyurethaned it all in my condo living room. ! (note.. use water base compounds to prevent suffocating.. learned the hard way). anyways after a few days of ventilation it was dry and ready to use. I compiled a video using my phone. check the pics and video out.!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXyQQJxgKJI

Now.. months later, summer has arrived and I am upgrading my tank size. I created the extension for the DIY stand in my garage over a few days time and now im able to support a tank 18 inches wide. I could get a 75, 90, or 110 gallon, and am still deciding which one to get ~~~ I took a few pics of the extension. a video and final pics will be posted after getting a new tank.

Its been hard for me to decide which tank to get..! what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170206_202328.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	778409  

Name:	20170206_202521.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	778417  

Name:	20170206_202840.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	778425  

Name:	DSC_0141.jpg
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	778433  

Name:	IMG_20170724_043207_756.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	778441  

Name:	DSC_0166.jpg
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	778449  

55 gallon planted african cichlid tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I've got 5 55s, 2 75s and one 90. My favorite is the 75. Good front to back and not so tall I can't reach into it if I have too.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 03:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Stick with the 55. The extension will bring the tank too far into the room where it is located. IDK if you are willing to lose 6" of space for more space to aquascape. If you can spare the space, then the 75.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ya I really like the extra width I get from 75+ gallons. its not just aquascaping that gets better but cleaning is easier in a way. my big python tube gets stuck sideways in my 55.

I am heading to the store on wednesday to compare the 75 and 90 visually in person. I was leaning towards the 90 cause the water displacement after at least 2 or 3 inches of substrate, plants, and decorative rocks. and I have filtration capacity for 90 gallon (an old 20 and 70 aquaclear together).

planted or not, a lot of people seem to like the 75 gallon. maybe because of price? or lower profile.. i figure for planted tanks, that taller is better

I like the 110 too but it is a steep price compared to the other two... around here at least

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 11:26 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterMelon View Post
Ya I really like the extra width I get from 75+ gallons. its not just aquascaping that gets better but cleaning is easier in a way. my big python tube gets stuck sideways in my 55.

I am heading to the store on wednesday to compare the 75 and 90 visually in person. I was leaning towards the 90 cause the water displacement after at least 2 or 3 inches of substrate, plants, and decorative rocks. and I have filtration capacity for 90 gallon (an old 20 and 70 aquaclear together).

planted or not, a lot of people seem to like the 75 gallon. maybe because of price? or lower profile.. i figure for planted tanks, that taller is better

I like the 110 too but it is a steep price compared to the other two... around here at least

Coming from someone who used to run a fishroom outfitted with many shapes and sizes of older tanks... as far as standard type tanks go a 75 is a much nicer to work in setup, and they take up just a smidge more room in the scheme of things. Way better than a 55 to work in. Much more storage space underneath, which will come in surprisingly handy. (0's are a bit awkward but nice enough, although if doing that I'd rather go for a standard 100 gallon (60") for just a bit more room.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 12:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I voted 90 gallon. That's my personal preference. I've had each and I like the extra height for Vals and floaters and taller driftwood, etc. but found the 110 to be too tall. Got sick of wet sleeves and I like small foreground plants that were a bear to keep nice in the 110. 110's are great for angels and discus but not so much for aquascaping.

75's are way cool too, I just like the little extra oomph my 90 gives me. However I might not if I were a few inches shorter...

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 02:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
I voted 90 gallon. That's my personal preference. I've had each and I like the extra height for Vals and floaters and taller driftwood, etc. but found the 110 to be too tall. Got sick of wet sleeves and I like small foreground plants that were a bear to keep nice in the 110. 110's are great for angels and discus but not so much for aquascaping.

75's are way cool too, I just like the little extra oomph my 90 gives me. However I might not if I were a few inches shorter...
I'm over 6' and the 90 is a bit too tall for me to reach in without getting the sleeves wet.
As I said above I have both the 75 and 90 setup in the fish house and the 75 is just easier all around. Don't get me wrong, I took a lot more time setting the 90 up as a display tank but I feel if I took the same amount of time with the 75 (and I will once I redo the fish house) it would look as good or better with all the driftwood, plants, and rock.

The 75 I got for the in the wall, in the house tank I will do up with all that the 90 has and better.

Funny how up until I got both the 90 and the 75 together how much I prefer the 75 after wanting another 90 for over 20 years. The last house which I sold in 99 I had a 90 in the wall saltwater. Alas it stayed with that house. But damn it looked good when you pulled up and saw it through the bay window I built.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 04:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
^ Sounds cool. Like I said, personal preference... Some of my favorite tanks have been 33L's. Super short and panoramic. Had one in wall about 6" above the pillows over the bed, back in my bachelor pad. One of my favorite setups ever.

I should have mentioned that the stand and canopy on my current 90 cover about 1.5" of tank at the top and bottom. Less visible substrate and no visible water line, which leaves about a 75's worth of viewing area.

Not saying my opinion is best, just sharing my experiences with OP in hopes something in there might be useful... I don't think you can go wrong with either 75 or 90, it's almost splitting hairs depending on how its displayed, IMO. But I'll never own another 110 again unless it's a five or six footer. Height was too extreme for me. My main advice to OP would be strongly discouraging a 110 unless keeping big/tall fish was the goal

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Go with the 75. Not only is it more difficult to work in a 90G, but its also harder to fill the vertical space with hardscape. A lot of 90s feel empty in the top 6 anyway, and it would be a better presentation if the whole vertical space was full. Add to that the fact that 90s are tougher to effectively light than a 75, and it seems like a win/win. In my 90, I was constantly trying to balance growth at the substrate with algae up high, and I never quite won the battle. Now that I have a 125G (2 less in height), I can see the problems with the 90. The reason for the 75 over the 55 is the difference in footprint, in that its much easier to scape with the added front to back depth.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I went with a 90 gallon planted... for now. Sometime in the future I think I will get a longer tank, 72'' maybe. hardscaping isn't so bad.. I am able to use the top of the aquarium too. I was picky to get pieces that I can use with slate to stack them up higher with ease. I will post pictures of the my new scape soon. Here is a video I created for the DIY part of the stand extension https://youtu.be/B9Fo8O_8fZM . Though my vals and hornwort are reaching the top of this aquarium, my other plants like amazon sword have new growths that are much shorter than the original leaves I bought them with. although that might be for another thread!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode