DIY CO2 - Am I being impatient? (New Questions 10/17/10) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
DIY CO2 - Am I being impatient? (New Questions 10/17/10)

Ok, so I decided to start playing with DIY CO2. I went to the local home brew store and purchased Brewer's Yeast since I've read over and over that this lasts longer. I then proceeded with a Jell-O recipe found here on APC.

This has been setup now since 8 am and I'm only getting about 3 bpm. Did I mess something up or is this normal? Should I dump out my water carefully and try starting it again? I have absolutely no experience with DIY CO2 so I'm not sure how it's supposed to work or how quickly the process should start. The CO2 is only now beginning to make it's way over the top of the tank.

Could the yeast be bad? Was purchased out of a cooler, Nottingham brand? Is it because I used tap water and not tank water? I just read that chlorine kills yeast, but whenever I've made bread the water comes out of the tap (not that I make bread a lot). Could my water have been too hot?

Uuggh, I don't like not understanding how things are supposed to work, can someone help me out here?

Sam
SunSun Pimp #36

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by HouseofZoo; 10-17-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 08:04 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Give it 24 hours first, and then check on the bottle.

It is possible that using tap water (if you have high levels of chlorine) could have killed the yeast. Alternatively, if you used water that was too hot, it could also kill the yeast.

Finally, I would also check for potential leaks that may be causing less CO2 to reach your aquarium.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
There are little fine details I have learned over time to make sure that my yeast kicks off right away...you will learn how to feel the temp of the water ect ect. Too hot means it will go to fast, to cold means it will be disappointingly slow. You live, you learn, its cheap to start over.

Eheim Pimp #423
My Riparium:

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Finally, I would also check for potential leaks that may be causing less CO2 to reach your aquarium.
I checked my bottle setup before I put it all together and everything seemed good. I used tons of silicone around all the connections because I didn't want to lose any precious CO2 once I got it all ready to go.

I'm trying to be patient, but patience isn't really a virtue I possess.

Sam
SunSun Pimp #36

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
i just set mine up today also.

ingredients
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon yeast
- 3/4 full of water two-liter bottle

materials
- one 2 liter bottle
- one 16oz gatorade bottle
- airline
- check valve
- airstone for diffusion

process:
- mixed up the yeast in a separate cup of water, let sit fo 15 minutes
- added two cups of sugar to the 3/4 full two-liter bottle
- after 15 minutes, added yeast to the two-liter bottle
- gently shook/swooshed the bottle to activate it
- used superglue on the outside of the bottle cap/airline connections to seal

one hour later, nothing yet.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm thinking I may have some bad yeast. I did a little experiment. I measured the temp of some dechlored water and proceeded to activate the yeast. At the same time I used the same amount of distilled water at the same temp. And in a 3rd glass I used tap water and used a lower temp and NO stirring per the directions on the back of the brewers yeast package. All three have been sitting the same amount of time and not one of them have done a thing.

If I don't see an improvement in bpm tomorrow morning, I'm off to the grocery to buy Red Star.

Sam
SunSun Pimp #36

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, so there was only a slight increase in production overnight, so I went and purchased some Red Star from the grocery and swapped out a 1/4 cup from the yeast bottle with fresh proofed bakers yeast. It's trucking along now at 35 bpm. I have the airline ran into the bottom of a Penn-Plax Cascade 300 internal filter. This also has a modified propeller, cut in slits to create a diy needle wheel.
  • I'm getting quite small micro bubbles coming out of the internal filter now. Is this how it should work? As i had mentioned I'm new to co2 in any form and want to make sure I'm doing this as efficiently as possible.
  • Is there anything I can do in addition to what I'm already doing to make the bubbles even smaller?
  • How long do I wait until I should expect to see a change in my drop checker?
  • And lastly, is just turning the internal filter off at night sufficient enough to prevent gassing my fish or when the filter turns off should I also run an airstone?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Sam
SunSun Pimp #36

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode