DIY Stand plans - too small of an opening - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thumbs down DIY Stand plans - too small of an opening

Looking at making a stand as my current one has a real small inside space.

When I got this tank and stand used I ended up having to pry open the side of the stand to get the stupid wet/dry filter out. it wouldn't fit through the front doors.

So I am looking at all these plans and what not online and they all recommend a bracing seperation of like 18" which is about what I have currently.

Are there any work arounds so that you can have a larger opening to make accessing a sump a lot less of a PITA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
When you build a house you can leave almost any size opening if you use a strong enough header over the opening, to carry the loads around the opening and down to the foundation. The same is true of an aquarium stand. The whole front of the stand can be an opening, as far as the width goes, but to do that you need a "header" across the top of that opening so the load from the tank weight is carried to the side panels and to the floor. I think a 4 inch high header would be adequate for most stands, or a 8 inch for really wide stands. (No vertical "post" under the middle of the opening.)

Hoppy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 11:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
What size tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GROW BABY GROW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
-

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
This is the stand I built for my 75 gallon aquarium. I still have to put on doors and make some pull out shelfs in the next few weeks.

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...MG0001_1-2.jpg

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode