Building my first tank - with pics! - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Building my first tank - with pics!

Well, i'm building my first tank. I've come for some opinions and feedback ( though im already 80% done )

I started off with an old 5x5 picture window. still in its wooden frame and infested with carpenter ants, i took out the glass and managed to get it all in one piece.

I separated the two panes with a little bit of difficulty, cracking one pane of glass in the process. I attempted to cut some of this up myself, but failed miserably - so i decided to just take the remaining glass into a professional, and had it cut up into the proper sizes ( mostly proper sizes, the side panels are about 5mm too long, and so they stick up the top of the tank a bit.. but this will be a good spot to attach my bracing anyways, so it will all be flush in the end.

I originally wanted two tanks out of this window - but with my inability to pace myself, i'll only be getting one.

The finished tank will be approx 60"L x 12"W x 15" T and eurobraced. I'm waiting for the initial silicone seal to cure before i go putting on any bracing. If my calculation is correct, this should be around 45gallons.

The tank itself right now looks fairly dirty and scuzzed up - there is a lot of window sealant goop on it still. I think in hindsight, cleaning all the glass would be a better step, but im seemingly not a patient person! I'll give it a good wash down when the silicone is cured, the black tar-like window goop comes off fairly easily with some remover and a razor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	776273  

Name:	Tank6.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	776281  

Name:	Tank2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	776289  

Name:	Tank7.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	776297  

antonylex and antonylex like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 12:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I've subscribed to this thread for all the wrong reasons. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see this ending well.
ichristos and ichristos like this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thank you for the vote of confidence.
Nlewis and Nlewis like this.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
I've subscribed to this thread for all the wrong reasons. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see this ending well.
Why?

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 02:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

I sincerely hope it all works out exactly as planned.
It just seems so basic to clean the glass first. I don't see how it can be clean where the silicone is, but maybe its just the pics. The glass is probably thicker than it looks in the pics too.
Postponing steps, that will ultimately make the project take longer, with an increased chance for damage, just doesn't seem like a good formula for success.

Sorry for being a downer. If you had asked for a vote of confidence I would have either gave it or not commented at all, but you asked for opinions and feedback.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Reading over my post, i failed to mention that I cleaned the glass in the areas that were going to be siliconed... acetone removed any remaining goop, and I cleaned the areas with rubbing alcohol before applying silicone. Any remaining gunk on the outer edges and middle can easily be removed afterwards with a blade - if I were removing caked on algae, it would be the same process.

I also used scs1200 for added strength, even though this is thinner glass and under 50 gallons.
geisterwald and geisterwald like this.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 11:17 PM
Planted Member

Proper cleaning... High strength silicone... looks good! How thick is the glass? It looks like really thick glass from the pictures but it is hard to tell.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 06:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Can't wait to see the finishing project GL!!
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oughtsix View Post
Proper cleaning... High strength silicone... looks good! How thick is the glass? It looks like really thick glass from the pictures but it is hard to tell.
Glass really isnt too thick - not as thick as i would have liked. I think its 6mm but could be 5mm. It should be safe at either thickness, according to the various calculators.

I've also added the top bracing - Instead of having the side braces on the very ends, I've moved them each in about 19" to give the center more support. I may still add in 2 braces on the ends just to even it out, but this seems pretty strong. All that's left to do is give everything a good wipe down, clean off some sloppy silicone work and wait about a week for it to fully cure!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	^8577CC3913109DD38177276A37A5F093CBDE1710E07552FAE2^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	777345  

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 01:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I built a tank almost exactly like that back in the day. It worked out great except for one thing...
I put it on the mantel of a BIG fireplace.

Over time the bottom "warped and waved" to match the contours of wood surface. No problem never leaked...UNTIL...one day I tore it down to clean and restart it.
Went to refill it....got about half full and POW! The whole bottom blew out! It shattered into a million pieces!

I don't know how you can get around that, the bottom will sit on something and it will probably have some minor imperfections that may cause problems. Just an FYI..
ChrisX and ChrisX like this.

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

++++++++++++++++++++
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The bottom will be sitting on a piece of 1" styrofoam - this will absorb any imperfections.

Also, the bottom glass is not tempered - so if a break does happen it likely wont shatter, but will just crack -So if anything happens down the road, i'd have some time to save any livestock and possibly get a shopvac out lol

As this is my first ever build, I will be giving it extensive testing in the garage before even considering taking it into the house.
Kubla, Kubla, geisterwald and 1 others like this.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 11:35 PM
Planted Member

Every glass tank I have ever had used tempered glass for the bottom... hmm.... is that to make the bottom more resistant to impact? Or is it because the bottom needs more strength to resist the weight of the water?

Either way I think your idea of placing it on a piece of styro-foam to support the entire bottom is an excellent idea!

The tank looks very nice, I can't wait to see it setup!
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 11:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Any plans for what you're going to put in it when it's finished?
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
Any plans for what you're going to put in it when it's finished?
Will likely do a shrimp tank - I'm growing out a nice colony of cherry shrimp at the moment ( mostly for Oscar food, to be honest)

I would like to do a more decorative shrimp tank though, maybe get a few different colors of neocaridina and a couple other species.

I really like moss - so maybe make it a moss and shrimp tank? Im open to ideas!
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 01:02 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Can't go wrong with shrimp! However mixing color variants of neocaridina might prove to be not what you want long term just because they can interbreed and revert back to their natural muddy colorations. Looking forward to seeing this tank progress!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode