DIY tank siphon/filler - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY tank siphon/filler

So, I've been wanting to get a python siphon/filler 25 foot kit so I can fill and empty my tanks. But then I realized I might be able to find parts to make my own. Has anyone ever made their own siphon/ tank filler hose and could recommend parts?

I would also need something to hook up to my showerhead because it has better water pressure than the kitchen sink.

Just curious!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 01:34 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I use a garden hose and drain it out my front door and then I just hook it up to the faucet in the kitchen to refill using quick connects. I have a shut off on both ends and when I'm done filling I close both ends leaving the hose full of water. Next time I do a WC I just open the shut offs and the siphon takes care of itself.

You could buy a diverter to hook to your shower instead of the faucet.

Sam
SunSun Pimp #36

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 02:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseofZoo View Post
I use a garden hose and drain it out my front door and then I just hook it up to the faucet in the kitchen to refill using quick connects. I have a shut off on both ends and when I'm done filling I close both ends leaving the hose full of water. Next time I do a WC I just open the shut offs and the siphon takes care of itself.

You could buy a diverter to hook to your shower instead of the faucet.
x2

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Water bed filler/drainer kits should be under $5.00.
Add hose.

Connecting to your shower might be tough depending on what type of shower you have. If it's connected to the bathtub spout, turning the water on and off could get to be a hassle. If it's just a shower stall shower life will be simpler. Good luck.

Oh, yeah. Petsmart in my area is clearing out Aqueon Water Flow Assemblies at $2.50. The difference between that and a waterbed fill/drain kit is the side spout is made for tubing not hose fittings.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
All great ideas! The primary reason I started this short thread is I need something to fill the tank. I hate holding my tank siphon backwards for a good 20 mins to fill my 48 gallon tank. A shower attached filler would be much more useful.

I will check Petsmart for the assembly parts. My shower is just a shower, no bathtub faucet. I pretty much need something to hook up to the shower, a section of tubing, and a cutoff valve. I'll see what I can find locally and post back with what I got working.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode