My dodgy DIY hood... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My dodgy DIY hood...

So I spent this afternoon trying to build my own hood for my little 6g ish tank (18"x10"x10") utilising my non-existent wood skills . My main motivation was for it to be able to house some lights as I have been struggling to find any cheap lights for it.

So started with....
1 x plank of 1x2
1 x plank of 1x4
1 x plank of 1x6
1 x rectangle of mdf to make a lid (a cut off of mdf is only £1!!)

Cut 3 pieces of the 1x4 and one piece of the 1x2 to the exact same size as the tank. The 1x2 is to go along the back to leave a space for all the wires to leave the tank...

Then I used the 1x6 to cover the front. This made an edge for the lid to sit on and a lip that covers the top of my tank...

Heres it on my tank...

I put it all together just using screws, although I made sure it was all screwed from the inside to make sure the front looked nice and tidy! I am not sure I am totally happy with the finished look. Seems a bit bulky but never mind and i think it will look better onced I have stained it. The lid also doesnt fit properly and needs a bit of sanding.

I have two bayonet cfl bulb fixtures to put in the lid but havent done it yet I am waiting for a friend as i am bit rubbish as electrics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think you have a good finished product but I have to agree it does look abit bulky. I would cut it down shorter so it was less obtrusive. Overall wonderful work and I imagine it is truly satisfying.

-Jason-
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah problem is I need to fit the lights is so there needs to be room for them.... Ideally I would have liked thinner wood down the sides so it didnt stick out too much but wasnt sure how to put it all together then as screws would be out the window.

Saying that it was fun and took up some spare time! I also got considerably better at diy in the process

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
You could also try building a base for the tank to sit on that is about the same size...just to even out the wood work...I'll see if I can find a picture of what i'm talking about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GROW BABY GROW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
-
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah thats good idea. It would be great if could?

I was just thinking maybe I should have got really thin wood for the outside peice and just glued it?

Oh well, live and learn.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamAllan View Post
Yeah thats good idea. It would be great if could?

I was just thinking maybe I should have got really thin wood for the outside peice and just glued it?

Oh well, live and learn.
You still could apply thinner wood with glue if you're unhappy with it. My DIY hood came out a bit thick and bulky too, but it works for me.

I second the idea of building a base or even a small trim frame made from strips of wood the same thickness for the bottom to bring the width out to match the top would be another idea.

Sam
SunSun Pimp #36

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'm not talking about a big base, it would basically look just like your hood, but the tank would sit on top of it..... Someone had one on here...where did it go????

GROW BABY GROW

-
-
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Algae Grower

You could do something similar to this or this.

Just skin it like you did your hood.

Sam
SunSun Pimp #36

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cheers for the suggestion I really like that stand! Just checked my funds though and not sure I can really afford anymore but when I can.... Also need more room for it (need to get my own place).

Just read you sig and you have inspired me to maybe toy with a few led moonlights, if i can do it cheap cheap cheap!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamAllan View Post
Just read you sig and you have inspired me to maybe toy with a few led moonlights, if i can do it cheap cheap cheap!
Not sure about auto part stores in the UK, but the store I purchased mine at had a lot of different options. There was even a set that was only $10, but I would have had to physically mount them and that was more work than I wanted to do.

They had blue and white.

Sam
SunSun Pimp #36

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode