Drop checkers and solution - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
Drop checkers and solution

Just wanted to get feedback on where everyone gets their drop checkers and the solution for them? Also, I am wondering the price you paid.

Reason I am wondering this is because I have access to a chemistry lab at the university and plan on mixing up 4 dKH and reference solutions for drop checkers for myself. The chemicals that I will be buying for myself will make a couple gallons of this stuff. I have been shopping around for empty plastic bottles, which is the largest cost by far. Depending on where I get the bottles and if I premix the 4dKH or if I would bottle it seperate from the reference solution, I could offer it to others on here for about $2-3 and could ship flat rate for about $5. Depending on the demand, I could offer diy drop checkers and glass bubble counters. Right now, I am thinking I could offer drop checker, bubble counter, and solution for about $20 shipped and possibly less. My thoughts behind all this is that for people building their own regulators, it would be a way to get the drop checker, bubble counter, and solution from one place and pay for shipping once. Right now I am looking for feedback on what people think about the idea and price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I paid 5$ plus 2$ shipping for 4oz of 4dkh solution so your price sounds fair on that especially if your offering the same or a larger size for that price. I did test the solution that I bought at 5 10 15 and 20 ml and it is dead on.

20$ shipped for all the dkh drop checker and bubble counter isnt bad, but that would also depend on the looks if the DIY DC is hideous most people arent going to want one in their tank. jsut a thought. good luck

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yes, I am trying to find bottles that will fit in a flat rate to keep shipping down, which still offer a decent amount. Right now I have found some 100ml and some 250ml bottles for the 4 dKH and some little 1 oz drop bottles for the reference solution.

Here is a link to the drop checker and bubble counter I made for my planted tanks.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...e-counter.html

NOTE: The zip ties and suction cups were used because I had them laying around the house. I have since found another size suction cup that fits the drop checker and is black in color, which is what I would be offering to others. I made one recently with the new suction cup, but just have not taken a picture yet. I will try to do so soon.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Personally I used the method described here on the forum.

I had a box of bottle water laying about which was distilled water (check your label)

I then added a TINY pinch of baking soda and shook it vigorously. Then I used a KH tester and poursed some of my solution out and added fresh water and continued to cut it that way until my KH test came back at 4.

Took me less than 5 minutes and wasn't all involved with doing it precise as the forum describes.

Best part is I am confident in doing it myself now and will never need to buy 4dkh solution again.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by efface View Post

I had a box of bottle water laying about which was distilled water (check your label)

I then added a TINY pinch of baking soda and shook it vigorously. Then I used a KH tester and poursed some of my solution out and added fresh water and continued to cut it that way until my KH test came back at 4.

Took me less than 5 minutes and wasn't all involved with doing it precise as the forum describes.

Best part is I am confident in doing it myself now and will never need to buy 4dkh solution again.
What are you using for a reference solution with your 4 dKH?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Keep in mind if you want to enter a business venture (even if its really small) based on a need for something you became aware of on a forum, try not to ask the forum users if they would be interested in the product idea and expect a roaring response of yes...

...Vocal forum users are on average 2% of the actual group of people doing whatever it is the forum is aimed at. That 2% in this case is very likely to make their own solutions, checkers, and have sources for anything they could need. They are willing to put in heavy research prior to a purchase. You'd be aiming at the other 98% who you more than likely won't hear from in this thread. If you want to sell these things and you think its economically feasible then by all means do it. Sorry for the mini-rant. I have an internet social media marketing company so researching internet customer user groups is very interesting to me...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitMoe View Post
Keep in mind if you want to enter a business venture (even if its really small) based on a need for something you became aware of on a forum, try not to ask the forum users if they would be interested in the product idea and expect a roaring response of yes...

...Vocal forum users are on average 2% of the actual group of people doing whatever it is the forum is aimed at. That 2% in this case is very likely to make their own solutions, checkers, and have sources for anything they could need. They are willing to put in heavy research prior to a purchase. You'd be aiming at the other 98% who you more than likely won't hear from in this thread. If you want to sell these things and you think its economically feasible then by all means do it. Sorry for the mini-rant. I have an internet social media marketing company so researching internet customer user groups is very interesting to me...
Thanks for this tip, but I think you missed my point in all this. I am not trying to make a business out of this and I am selling basically at my cost. As I mentioned, I need to mix up some solution for my own use and I will have plenty left over. As a way to make it worth others time in taking the extra off my hands, I was throwing out the idea of being able to offer bubble counters and drop checkers like the ones I made and use in my planted tanks. Yes, most people on here can make their own, like I plan to do. However, keep in mind it takes supplies from 5+ stores to make my bubble counter and drop checker. In addition to all the local stores I had to run to, I was not able to just buy the exact number of everything I needed. In other words, I have a couple extra of this and that, which could be used to make more. My whole purpose was to try to help fellow DIYers out, as it does take time and effort to make your own stuff. By offering 4 dKH solution, reference solution, drop checker, and bubble counter, it could save others time and maybe a few bucks.

GitMoe: No need to apologize, as I do appreciate the feedback. I would be interested in learning about your company through a pm. For myself, I been around the hobby ever since I was a child. Currently, working on my B.S. in Mechanical Engineering & minor in Mathematics from the Purdue School of Engineering and Technology in Indianapolis while working full time as an engineer.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I buy the ebay drop checkers from china. Think last time I paid about $15 shipped for two of them. Longer wait, but sure beats the prices people try to sell them for here in the states. I will NEVER pay $30-50 for a little piece of glass.

As for the solution, I bought the Liquid Art bottle which is about $13 for an 8oz bottle

~ Jose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (84/100%)
I'm lazy so plus+1 for the 4dKH solution.

-Brian

FILSTAR#88
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardona1 View Post
I buy the ebay drop checkers from china. Think last time I paid about $15 shipped for two of them. Longer wait, but sure beats the prices people try to sell them for here in the states. I will NEVER pay $30-50 for a little piece of glass.

As for the solution, I bought the Liquid Art bottle which is about $13 for an 8oz bottle
Liquid Art? I am not familiar with that...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Even if you aren't shooting for a profit what you are talking about fits into a business equation... [(Return - Investment) = Profit] You would need to recoup any initial investment to make to the whole thing worth your time. So your P&L goal would look like this... (R - I) = 0 whereas my P&L goal looks like this... (R - I) = 1,000,000 LOL
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2lovefish View Post
Liquid Art? I am not familiar with that...
Not sure if they're still around, but the packaging looks the same. Same as this here:

http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-dr...-standard.html

~ Jose

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitMoe View Post
Even if you aren't shooting for a profit what you are talking about fits into a business equation... [(Return - Investment) = Profit] You would need to recoup any initial investment to make to the whole thing worth your time. So your P&L goal would look like this... (R - I) = 0 whereas my P&L goal looks like this... (R - I) = 1,000,000 LOL
Yes, I am aware of that simple business equation. If you want to get technical, I would need to consider all opportunities that I could do with the time spent making each item, packing, and then driving to ship it. If I wanted to take all this into consideration, I would have to sell at a much much higher cost. Bottom line is I will be buying most the supplies for the solutions for myself anyways. The main cost is buying plastic bottles to package it for others to use. As far as my time to make the drop checkers and bubble counters, I could not really charge for anyways since I like making things. It might be a few weeks before I get around to this anyways. Working full time and taking 9 credit hours with 2 labs in the evenings does not allow for much extra time!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 11:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by efface View Post

This.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode