The s.o.b. filter. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
The s.o.b. filter.

OK heres the scoop. it means "stand on back" I know what you were thinking. I have an aquaclear 300 running my 125 alone, its just not enough for the fish load I have. I dont want multiple filters and I cant afford to go buy a good cannister right now. So I am building my own unit. one I can seal so any offgassing will only be enough to balance the aquarium co2 with the airspace in the bucket. I dont want to try and make a cannister out of this. it'll work the way I am going, how well..... we'll have to see.

Parts (I just want to point out I had all this kicking around the house already so dont ask me how much it cost to build I dont have a clue, sorry):
5 gallon bucket
lid
plastic toilet flapper valve threaded adapter to go from 2 1/2 inch flapper thread to 2 inch PVC pipe
3 inch long piece of 2 inch pvc pipe
2inch pvc 90 elbow.
teflon tape
maxijet 1200
1/2 id. rubber hose
1/2 od. barbed nipple cpvc
3X 1/2 90 elbow
couple short lengths of 1/2 id pvc.
bioceramic beads gravel and laterite (enough to give a 1 inch deep layer on the bottom of the bucket)
100% polyester quilt batting 1/4 inch low loft 48x36 inches
piece of eggcrate large enough to cover level of bioceramics
--------------
step 1: I cut a hole in the bottom of the bucket off to one side to allow the flapper valve throughand screwed the threaded nut tight to get a good pressout on the internal rubber gasket. removed the rubber flap, chain, and top ring off the overfill tube. Left the overfill tube on, in case bottom drain somehow becomes partially or completely blocked to prevent bucket from overspilling

step 2: thread adapter from 2 1/2 to 2 inch onto the bottom of the flapper valve. insert 3 inch long pvc pipe attach 90 elbow. these are only pressed togetheras they dont need to be watertight the bottom of the flapper valve and threaded adapter are below the tank rim, its also low/no pressure so I dont have to worry about that, will also make it easy to modify later.

step 3: fill bottom of bucket with bioceramics up to about 1/4 inch below the lip of the 2 1/2 inch opening. cut egg crate to fit down past overfill pipe, and all the way down to rest snug against the sides of the bucket touching the biomedia.

step 4 cut poly fill to desired shape and stack multiple layers. (I used the whole package so it has about 12 layers of polyfilter. as the polyfilter gets dirty I will remove the dirtyest top layers and replace them by putting new sheets on the bottom of the stack.

step 5: attach maxijet to the rubber hose, create n shape with the 3/4inch pvc and attach to cpvc barbed fitting and attach to other end of tube.
----------

right now this unit is in testing I have NOT cut the hole in the side to allow me to pass the rubber tubing in and seal the top. I want to run it a bit and see how it goes lidless so I can watch the guts and see if I need to do anything else or modify it.

After about 20 minutes of observation I am thinking a bigger pump would be nice. at 14 inches of head pressure the maxi jet will (Head Loss Calculator developed by Jason Nugent, with pump curve information courtesy of Shane Graber and Reefs.org http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php) ony be pushing about 175 gph that on filtering 1.4x an hour. I want more.I'm going to have to dig around and see if I can mate up one of my bigger rios for the job.

If I can get my camera to work (doubtfull) i will post pics :edit: I got it working

I know everything is croocked I ned to recenter my lights and set up a stand for the SOB. I love that acronym. I think I may cut more eggcrate sections to hold layers apart in the polyfilter, AND add a layer of mat batting as well as a filter sock.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.

Last edited by ReefkprZ; 10-07-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
pretty cool that you made a filter. Its rather massive though, probably not ideal for a living room display. Any ideas on how to make it more pleasing to the eye or to hide it somehow?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well my first thought would be not to do it this way.

my second thought, would be to put it on a proper shelf behind the tank so its not all cockeyed and move my lights forward a bit to center them on the tank.

after that.... well its a 5 gallon bucket, how pretty does it need to be? I like the, "what the hell is that!?" factor. if it works, its as good as it needs to be, if it doesnt scrap it and try again.

I'm a big function over form kinda guy. I dont care if its ugly if it works better and cost less than the other pretty little thing I'll take ugly anyday.

there is a million ways to modify this design. use a 3 gallon bucket instead, use a 2liter bottle... I went for bulk internal capacity, that way I can add all the media I want. if I want it smaller later I can cut the top off the bucket and make a different lid for it. right now I just need more filtration.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
pretty cool that you made a filter.
And Thanks! I have made a bunch of filters (usually prettier than this one) but I am stuck in the house with what I have on hand. so this is what I came up with. I'm open to sugggestions on mods to make on this beast, only limited by what I actually have in the house.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
S.O.B. filter.... lol That sounds almost as bad as retail P.O.S. systems (Point of Sale)

In the beginning: DUKES 55g

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DUKES Fluval Edge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If the pump quits, does all of the water dump into the tank? I suppose 5 gallons won't make much difference for a big tank. Other than that this looks pretty fool proof to me. Ugly, of course, but foolproof.

Hoppy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yup hoppy if the pump dies all the water except enough to keep the biomedia wet in the bottom goes back into the tank so its only out about 1/4 gallon, and the biomedia will stay alive and viable. also in the second picture you see the tube sticking up? thats the overfill tube, if the bucket fills to that point, water goes down there and back into the tank, that way if the hole below the media were to get clogged for some reason there is no way for it to overflow the bucket.

and definatly ugly

I'm going to put a shelf behind the tank for it to sit on, and move my lights forwad a few inches so they are better centered over the tank (I have been procrastinating on that) today I will also instann the input line properly and put the lid on it to prevent excess co2 loss.

I really wish my cannister filter's case hadnt broken on me. I still have no idea how I managed to crack the case on that thing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode