1Likes
  • 2 Post By joebob296

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Drilling holes in 180 gallon tank

Hello,

I recently purchased a 180 gallon tank off of craigslist with the intention of drilling holes in the back and setting up a bean animal sump design. Well, upon receiving the tank and looking closely at it I found 3 marking that show the front, back, and bottom are all tempered. However, this marking is missing on the two sides of the tank. Does anyone have any insight as to the possibility of the sides being tempered as well? I tried to find a company logo so I could call them but there are no such markings on my tank. Here is a picture of said tempered logo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170712_194553.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	771777  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 03:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
You can check the sides if you have polarized glasses.

Eheim Pimp #134
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandmiles View Post
You can check the sides if you have polarized glasses.
Care to explain? If I had to guess, tempered glass would look have light and dark spots like looking out a car window with glasses on?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:47 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebob296 View Post
Care to explain? If I had to guess, tempered glass would look have light and dark spots like looking out a car window with glasses on?
Yes, this is correct.

You can rotate your polarized glasses to see the striping/banding pattern that is created as part of the tempering process.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 09:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Location: Park City KS (Our House consists of, 4 glass boxes 5 miniature dachshunds and a black cat)
I would be as nervous as a cat on hot bricks at even the thought of drilling glass especially if it had even the slightest possibility of tempered glass. Good luck

Take only pictures, leave only footprints.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieD View Post
I would be as nervous as a cat on hot bricks at even the thought of drilling glass especially if it had even the slightest possibility of tempered glass. Good luck
Oh trust me I am nervous as all hell. And I don't even have the tools to cut it yet.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 01:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Location: Park City KS (Our House consists of, 4 glass boxes 5 miniature dachshunds and a black cat)
Keep us posted, wishing you all the very best of luck

Take only pictures, leave only footprints.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Right Now, I'm going to Wal-Mart to get a cheapo pair of polarized sunglasses and using an lcd screen to see if I can see the lines.

So the front back and bottom are tempered. The sides do not show the striation pattern tha t i saw on the front and back. Now it's time to debate. To drill or not to drill.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-14-2017 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 11:30 PM
Planted Member

Drilling NON-Tempered glass is no biggie. Just use a guide, go slow and use a fair amount of water to cool as you are cutting. The first time you do it you will be nervous... after you are done you will wonder what you were so nervous about.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oughtsix View Post
Drilling NON-Tempered glass is no biggie. Just use a guide, go slow and use a fair amount of water to cool as you are cutting. The first time you do it you will be nervous... after you are done you will wonder what you were so nervous about.
That is for the encouragement. Now, I'm waiting on funds for a ghost overflow. Once I purchase that I will drill my hole to the bulkhead. But I want to wait at least until I have that.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I know this has been awhile, but I have successfully drilled my tank. I just dry fitted a Modular Marine Overflow. I have pictures but I dont know how to upload them. Either way one step closer, now I have to build the stand and start ordering stuff for the lights. Thanks for all the encouragement, it was extremely simple. Just like drilling in wood.
Bleuwater and Bleuwater like this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 07:15 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebob296 View Post
I know this has been awhile, but I have successfully drilled my tank. I just dry fitted a Modular Marine Overflow. I have pictures but I dont know how to upload them. Either way one step closer, now I have to build the stand and start ordering stuff for the lights. Thanks for all the encouragement, it was extremely simple. Just like drilling in wood.
You can use a third party hosting site such as Imgur. Looking forward to seeing the final aquarium!

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode