How to release/lower pressure in DIY CO2 setup? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By theatermusic87

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to release/lower pressure in DIY CO2 setup?

Hey again....

I got my DIY CO2 soda bottle citric acid/baking soda system going, and it's been working pretty well for a few days. One thing I ended up doing due to some 'advice' was closing the valve at night to 'shut off' the flow. My pressure was pretty low on startup, so this was OK for a few days, but yesterday I noticed the pressure was at 2kg, so I let it run at night to hopefully keep it steady at that level. I wake up, now it 's gone up to 3.2kg.

My question is, how do I lessen the pressure in the bottles before it climbs any higher? Is it possible? I'm terrified of opening those things without knowing what's going to happen lol, but I'd rather do it now than when the pressure is 6kg if someone lets me know it's OK.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 09:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Depending on what you have for a setup, I think there is a pressure relief built into the gauge (depending on who makes it I don't remember specifics). Other option is to open the bottles slowly (like you would a shaken bottle of soda) to vent some of the gas. I would open whichever bottle had the pickup tube in it, otherwise the pressure difference would just cause the system to dump a bunch of fresh acid in. Last but not least you can burp the system by opening the needle valve and dumping the co2 that way (you can turn it off briefly, disconnect the line to the aquarium, then reconnect when done)

You may need to restart the setup after doing this
caelumos and caelumos like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermusic87 View Post
Depending on what you have for a setup, I think there is a pressure relief built into the gauge (depending on who makes it I don't remember specifics). Other option is to open the bottles slowly (like you would a shaken bottle of soda) to vent some of the gas. I would open whichever bottle had the pickup tube in it, otherwise the pressure difference would just cause the system to dump a bunch of fresh acid in. Last but not least you can burp the system by opening the needle valve and dumping the co2 that way (you can turn it off briefly, disconnect the line to the aquarium, then reconnect when done)

You may need to restart the setup after doing this
Thanks for the reply! I tried to 'vent' it by opening the needle valve but like you said, it did dump a bunch of acid in the other bottle, so I'm not sure I'll try that method again lol. I unscrewed the acid bottle a little and that worked perfectly. Thanks again for the reply! I couldn't find any info on what would work or be safe/not wasteful lol. I appreciate it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 07:27 PM
Algae Grower

unscrew the bottle with the citric acid in it. That will bleed off pressure without charging acid into the baking soda solution. Don't unscrew it all the way though, just crack it slightly until pressure starts to drop.

When live gives you lemons make a lemon drop.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 11:11 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Leave it alone. It will take alot more pressure to burst the bottles. Raise the weight in the Acid bottle with a magnet to limit the amount of acid that is transferred when the pressure drops in the soda bottle.
Check out the end of this thread
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=815241

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode