DIY CO2 - Won't start at all? Defective kit or my fault? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By splattered

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 - Won't start at all? Defective kit or my fault?

Hey, I just recently bought a DIY CO2 Kit and went and got everything set up in two 2L bottles. I'm following the citric acid & baking soda mix method. I set everything up, screwed everything tight, closed the needle valve, but when I squeeze the citric acid bottle to start building pressure/start the flow, nothing happens? I can see maybe an inch of citric acid mix coming up the tube, but then back down when I release, so it never transfers over to the other bottle to start reacting. It just looks/sounds like I'm making it 'breathe'. The recipe says I only need to squeeze Bottle A 'slightly' but I can push pretty hard lol, which makes me think it might be a leak/something not tightened properly, maybe? I've been here fiddling for an hour and I'm not seeing or feeling the cause.

- This is the system I bought: http://a.co/aWYgdNe
- The second one on this page is the recipe I'm following: https://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/diy...s-guide-6.html

Can anyone who has maybe had this problem and fixed it help out a total newbie? I know there /has/ to be someone out there who went through this before and either had a 'doh' moment or eventually realized something was faulty. I guess it has to either be the bottles themselves, a system leak, or a something not tightened properly?

Any advice/past experience would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 01:30 AM
Planted Member

I've been using a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast with awesome results. Feed it brown sugar and warm tap water

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
Cosmicbum and Cosmicbum like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I used to use the system you have. I had to give it a pretty good squeeze to get the reaction going. Sometimes it would start hot, sometimes I had to help it a bit. If you get the acid to move over you should have a big fizzz. A leak should affect your ability to control the reaction once it starts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by splattered View Post
I've been using a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast with awesome results. Feed it brown sugar and warm tap water

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
You think the reason I can't pump the acid to the baking soda is because the recipe is no good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkemp View Post
I used to use the system you have. I had to give it a pretty good squeeze to get the reaction going. Sometimes it would start hot, sometimes I had to help it a bit. If you get the acid to move over you should have a big fizzz. A leak should affect your ability to control the reaction once it starts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So a leak wouldn't be responsible for me not being able to pump the acid over/the bottle 'breathing'? Was it just one pump you had to do or several to build it up and over? I think I'd have to crush the bottle at this rate to get it through on one squeeze

EDIT: Oh boy - to anyone reading, here's something to spread along to other dummies in the future: sometimes the manufacturer hooks up tube A to the wrong port - you can see in the pic that it's hooked up to the gauge instead of to the rest of the tube, and Tube B is hooked up to the needle valve instead of the tube port. LOL. It's working just fine now that I switched everything into their correct spots!

Thanks for looking and to the folks who tried to help!

Last edited by caelumos; 07-05-2017 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode