DIY Tank Wall Unit - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
DIY Tank Wall Unit

I keep looking at my wall that currently houses my 125 gallon and a few other miscellaneous things. After seeing Hop's home demolition it gave me some ideas so I have put a lot of thought into this and would like some opinions.

I want to build a 12' wide x 8' high x 26" deep wall unit to house a 125 Gallon tank in the middle. It will be built as the wall to large extent. Either side (3') will have showcase shelving units with glass shelves and doors and top lights. All the lighting will be direct wired into the house. The shelving units will extend to equal the bottom of the tank and below that will be drawers. Above the 125 Gallon will be Glass doored shelving (above the lighting door that is) and below it will be a cabinet to house 2 Ehiem filters and pressurized CO2.

Now, one of the things I was thinking about was putting the fixtures behind, the reason for 2 canisters, could PVC be used for a permanent mount behind the tank to connect the canister filters to the tank?

What other issues can anyone see with something like this? I'm currently not planning any back access, but I could change that. As I am building it into an internal wall I could create doors in the room behind to access the back of the tank if necessary.

Any advice or insight would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

125 Gallon AGA w/ Overflows
Filtration: Ehiem 2026 Filter, Dual "Ghetto" Overflow Internal Filters
Lighting: 1x96W Current USA CF - 2x96W Generic CF
Co2: Pressurized Co2 - Rex Grigg Regulator, SMS 122, and Rex Grigg Reactor.
Plants: Pogostemon yatabeanus, Foxtail, Bacopa, Egeria najas, Anubius, E. 'Ozelot Red', Ranalisma rostrata, Hornwort, Rotala Indica, Ludwigia Repens, Vals, Cabomba, Lilly, MoneyWort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Well, for me having back access is always desireable...especially with a long tank like a 125.

As for hard plumbing your filters with PVC, it'll definitely work for the return lines, but you need to be careful on the intake side. I tried to run a single PVC intake line to fed a Mag5 pump (CO2 reactor) and a Fluval 304. But the Mag drew so much water that it starved the Fluval so I ended up running separate intakes rather than trying to fabricate a larger single syphon pipe.

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned

This is going to be one helacious project the more I think about it, but the more I think about it the more I want to do it. Personally I think it will provide one hell of a display.

On the PVC I was I was thinking of using 5/8" or so the same as the lines.

Plants: Pogostemon yatabeanus, Foxtail, Bacopa, Egeria najas, Anubius, E. 'Ozelot Red', Ranalisma rostrata, Hornwort, Rotala Indica, Ludwigia Repens, Vals, Cabomba, Lilly, MoneyWort

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by enchanted
On the PVC I was I was thinking of using 5/8" or so the same as the lines.
PVC comes in 1/2", 3/4", 1" and then I think it's in 1/2" increments (all ID dimensions). If you're plumbing two filters I'd recomment at least a 3/4" pipe on both sides, although 1" on the intake side may be better.

óBill

|
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Why the 1" on the intake side?

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 03:07 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
If I were you, I would look at lifegard filters.... Esp if you are thinking of plumbing in with PVC. I have one on my 120 gal. I really like it. By the time you get 2 canisters, you are really close to the price of a lifegard and you get to do what ever you want to do. I have everything plumbed in with PVC and 'Spa-Flex' I have 1" PVC for the intake to the main pump and then to the mechanical module. From there it goes to 3/4. Spa-Flex is nice, it is the same size and uses the same couplers as PVC but is flexable. It is nice to cut down on the amount of elbows (and therefore head loss). I need to post some pics of my setup, but I am still not done/happy with my plumbing. I got a real nice oversized intake strainer from Aquatic-Ecosystems that seems to work really well (I have an extra PM me). On a pump system, you want the lowest possible resistance on the intake. Going to one size larger on the intake pipe will help that. There are some more hydro dynamic reasons to do it as well, but after several glasses of wine, I will keep that discussion for a clear head...

Go to the home center, get a bag of couplers, elbows, and 'T' fittinds and go to town. If it doesn't work, you are out what maybe $5??
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Well, I was looking at two of the Ehiem canisters with internal heaters for this setup so I could eliminate the intake heater. It is easier to hide two intakes and spraybars than a heater.

For the PVC I am only considering pieces straight up and down for the area directly behind the tank. This would then have 5/8" barbs on them to connect to the hosing that comes with the Ehiems.

I have heard of but never seen the Lifegaurd series, do you have a link?

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 03:56 AM
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Enchanted,

Welcome to the world of never quite enough. I love it. i am always thinking of ways to do things a little different and not only make the inside of the tank exciting, but the outside very attractive.

Any ways here are some quick thoughts...
1. What is floor like where you want to place the tank? Is your house slab construction, have a basement etc. As you know the 125 is pretty heavy when filled, plus add the weight of the cabinetry. I was pretty lucky becasue the foundation is right under the front of the tank and then the backside is actually built over the concrete of the garage. After a little sprucing of the support, it could easily hold 10 times the weight I have there now. Hence the possible 230 gallon or bigger as time/money permits.
2. You are already on the right track, but plan out you plumbing and lighting. Think about the little things and what if scenarios. How are you going to get the electricity to the centerpiece. I was lucky and had easy access under the tank.
3. Just keep thinking. i think you have a great idea here.

I'm going to find a link from another site. i think this person did something really close to what you want to do.

Good Luck!!

Currently tankless for the first time in 24 years... Getting the itch again
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Well, first I already have a 125 on a stand almost in the spot I want to put it.

Second I'm going to do runners and a full base of OSB particle board across the entire bottom (one piece) to help distribute the weight across the entire floor.

For lighting, I have a light on either side of the wall already. I intend on using this existing wiring for all the lighting.

For lighting in the hood I'm going to do 6x96W AH Supply. The hood I have already thought about and will have a small fold up door for access for feeding, etc... (1') and the lights will be on slide outs with small retractable fixtures for pulling in/out the electrical.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 05:08 AM
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sounds good. I was just worried about the added weight of the shelving unit. My 125 always had extra support under it, but I have a 110 that didn't. Every time the kids walked by it I could see the tank move, so I had to build additional bracing under it.

I searched for that post that had this oak and glass cabinetry on both sides, but couldn't find it. I actually have a picture printed off of this thing some where, but I think it would cause problems if I scanned and posted it. Maybe if I e-mailed it to you it would be better.

You've got to keep me up to date on the progress. Like I said this is what I really enjoy!

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 05:18 AM
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Never mind the address was on the picture... Duh
http://www.zubbie.com/reef/default.htm

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Well, I know I will have some movement of the tank, but not from people walking. I live in a 14x70 mobile home and the washing machine gives everything in the place a shake. I've been watching my 125 closely because of that, but the thing is so heavy it barely ripples the water.

As for the cabinetry, etc... Currently on that wall (which is 12') I have the 125 full w/ stand filter, etc... along with 2 File cabinets that are completely full, luckily one is on wheels but I'm dreading moving the other one. Then I have on the other wall (since that wall cuts off into a hallway) a desk that ways as much if not more than the 125 and stand empty with a 30 Gallon and a 10 Gallon sitting on it.

The desk and file cabinets are going into another room along with the 30 Gallon and 10 Gallon.

I'm droppping down to only the 125 Gallon in the living room and the room to the back of the 125 Gallon (on the same wall I'm going to build this) is going to be my fish room.

This 125 Gallon currently in the living room will be going in my bedroom and will become marine for my Puffers.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Banned

That is close to what I am going to do except I'm going the dark cherry wood color.

Here is kind of a design concept of what it will look like, but this has a TV in it and the center is all wrong.

http://www.racksandstands.com/prods/...I/0PMF1245.htm

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Banned

This is closer because it has the type of doors I am planning to do:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 05:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by enchanted
Why the 1" on the intake side?
Just so that you have adequate water flowing into both cannisters since each would normally draw from its own 5/8" line. A single 1/2" intake would cause a lot of back pressure for the pumps and even a 3/4" might be a bit restrictive.

óBill

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode