What is the best yeast - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What is the best yeast

I want to use my own mix in my Nutrafin Co2 generator, the stuff they supply does not last very long.

What is the best yeast to use, baking yeast or brewing yeast or something else? I can get Red Star yeast very reasonable.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 01:25 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I usually just use baker's yeast, as it is readily available and cheap. However, there are other strains of yeast/types of yeast that have been used that seem to be a little more longer lasting.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)
Fleischmann's Baking Yeast available at most grocery stores. Refrigerate unused portions in a sealed glass jar.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispino Ramos View Post
Fleischmann's Baking Yeast available at most grocery stores. Refrigerate unused portions in a sealed glass jar.
+1 on Fleischmann's. It starts creating CO2 much faster than the RedStar that is also sold in grocery stores. I have read that yeast made for wine and champayne lasts much longer but, I have never tried it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The other problem is the cost. Where I have seen the wine and champagne yeast for sale it's like $12 to $30 for a little packet. I give the Fleischmann's a go.

Thanks
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 01:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

in my opinion this is the best co2 DIY system, 1 bubble per second for 3 weeks
http://freshwater-aquarium-passion.b...injection.html

- for people with passion for aquariums
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 05:08 AM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
I like brewers yeast, but have used both wine and reg. bakers yeast with only a few days difference (the wine yeast seems to last a tiny bit longer)

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Planted Member

"The other problem is the cost. Where I have seen the wine and champagne yeast for sale it's like $12 to $30 for a little packet. I give the Fleischmann's a go."

Someones trying to rob you! I can get brewers yeast or wine or champagne yeast in single use packets for like a buck or two at the home brew store.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Seems the jello yeast formula last the longest. Don't if it will work with nutrifin system though. I read it lasted 3 months for Rolo
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I just started up a bottle of co2 mix on saturday using a package of brewers yeast from my local home brew store for $1.79. I only used 1/2 tsp of it in a bottle with the Jell-O recipe. After 24 hours it was only producing 10 bpm. So this morning I went and purchased a jar of Red Star Active Dry Yeast. I removed a 1/4 cup of solution form the yeast bottle and added a 1/4 of water with the proofed red star in it. Within an hour I was producing yeast at a much faster rate. Last time I checked it it was going at 35 bpm. I'm not sure about Fleischmann's vs. Red Star, but so far I have no complaints with it.

Will I purchase brewers yeast again? Probably not

Sam
SunSun Pimp #36

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode