DIY Liquid Fert Stocks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
DIY Liquid Fert Stocks

I received my set of bottles to make my own liquid stocks from dry ferts, and to make it easier for me to keep up with dosing. I'm having a little trouble with my math tonight, so I'm looking for some help. Here's what I have so far.

16 oz bottle. Approx 470 ml.
Each pump out of the bottle is .8 ml. I get approximately 590 pumps out of each bottle.
What I am thinking for convenience is 10 pumps per bottle, 3 times a week. That comes out to 8 ml per bottle.

According to EI dosing, each week I should have:
2 1/4 tsp KNO3
9/16 tsp KH2PO4
9/16 tsp CSM+B

For KNO3, it's 3/4 tsp for each dose. So 3/4 tsp per 8ml of water.
470ml / 8ml = approx 60 doses. That's 60 (3/4 tsp) doses.

Does that mean I would put 45 tsp of KNO3 in a bottle of 470 ml?

If I am off, which I think I am, please shed some light on the subject. My brain hurts tonight trying to figure this out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 04:42 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Your math is correct.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well thank you. So my next dilemma, which I hadn't thought of til now. I need to remove some of the water/ferts to account for the fact that dissolving the ferts into the water will cause them to take up more space than the bottle has. So how much water do I remove?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, I did a small test run. I wasn't sure on the dissolvability (is that a word?) of each fert, so I'm going to have to get some beakers so I can figure out how much water I need per dose of each. I will be back with updates later this week.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapnutz View Post
Well thank you. So my next dilemma, which I hadn't thought of til now. I need to remove some of the water/ferts to account for the fact that dissolving the ferts into the water will cause them to take up more space than the bottle has. So how much water do I remove?
To get around this, dissolve all the chemicals that you need to into some volume of water (say) 300 mL. Then, top off to your desired volume (in your case, 470 mL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapnutz View Post
Well, I did a small test run. I wasn't sure on the dissolvability (is that a word?) of each fert, so I'm going to have to get some beakers so I can figure out how much water I need per dose of each. I will be back with updates later this week.
Solubility is the word you are looking for.

The easiest way to find this information is to find the MSDS for each chemical.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
with EI dosing, you don't have to be so exact. you're overdosing the ferts anyways, and a tiny bit more or less doesn't matter.

One thing to be wary of, when you mix CSM+B, it grows this weird white fungus-like stuff in the bottle, so I've only had success mixing about a 2 week supply. Some people have success with adding excel into the mix and using DI water, but I'm not too sure how well it works out.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Did you buy pump bottles ? After reading your thread it occurred to me that the 16 ounce stress coat bottles measure 1ml per pump. Slapnutz you are officially my favorite person today! The work you did will make dosing so quick and easy I might actually do it consistently! You even did all the math so I know exactly how much to add.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
You can disolve about 36g of Kno3 in 100 ml of water(use distilled) at room temp. Somewhere here is the weight of a tsp of kno3.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What you need to expect is much less amount of doses per bottle.

Potassium has a very low solubility.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That much KNO3 doesn't dissolve into a 16 oz bottle. I have to go back and figure out how much water it takes to completely dissolve a 3/4 tsp, then I can redo my math.

Edit: Ninja'd ever so slightly by over_stocked. I really had no idea where to start, didn't think about looking for the MSDS sheets on these. Sometime over Wed/Thurs/Fri I will have more time to work on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsword View Post
Did you buy pump bottles ? After reading your thread it occurred to me that the 16 ounce stress coat bottles measure 1ml per pump. Slapnutz you are officially my favorite person today!
Well thanks for that, but don't give me too much credit yet. When I have numbers that work, I will be happy. And yes, I purchased bottles from specialtybottle.com, that came with pumps.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Could you just half the kno3 and then double the pumps going into the tank? Either way its better than measuring powder with spoons every day.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I think it will be even more than halving it.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsword View Post
Could you just half the kno3 and then double the pumps going into the tank? Either way its better than measuring powder with spoons every day.
Yes, you can half the KNO3 and then double the volume. This means you are still dosing the same molar amount.

As I mentioned previously, you can look at the MSDS for solubility information, and density information should also be easily obtainable. With the density, you can convert from a volume (i.e. teaspoons) to a mass (i.e. grams), and then from there, figure out whether or not the amount you are trying to put into your container will dissolve or not.

Anthony

and

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode