CO2 recipe going bonkers. Suggest a solenoid so I don't poison my fish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 recipe going bonkers. Suggest a solenoid so I don't poison my fish?

OK yall, I have a successfull CO2 story, although it's a little too successful and now I think I need some sort of shut-off to offgass the CO2 at night.

I was browsing the net for improved DIY CO2 yeast concoctions (and NOT noticing this wonderful little thread, doh https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...diy-setup.html).

So here's what I used.

2c sugar
1/2 tsp ammonium phosphate
1/2 tsp buffered Vitamin C powder (from my reefkeeping)
1/4 to 1/3 tsp wine yeast
1 tsp baking soda.
Mixed with RO water.

24 hours later, I'm getting more CO2 than I've EVER SEEN in my life from a DIY concoction. Hard to get a bubble count but it's easily too much for my 10g tank lol!!!

I used these DIY reactors (baker's yeast) for YEARS back in the 90's and early 2000's and never saw anything like this.

So now, how do I offgass this at night? Tonight I'm going to redirect the output of my canister filter such that it rolls the top of the water a lot more.

I could put on an air pump on a timer, but I want to avoid the bubble splash and I don't really want an airstone in my tank all the time.

Is there a solenoid that would offgass this? I know I can't use a normal solenoid since it would blow the bottle lid off and really piss off my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 05:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Re: CO2 recipe going bonkers. Suggest a solenoid so I don't poison my fish?

I think a three way solenoid might, depending on the model. Easier to add an air stone on a timer. Much easier.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

By "easier" are you suggesting "cheaper"?

I'll look into a 3-way solenoid.

This morning the mix is still producing a copious amount of CO2.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

use something like this for a co2 DIY system
http://freshwater-aquarium-passion.b...injection.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for people with passion for aquariums
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Wine yeast will work like mad for a couple days and then slow. Why dont you just pull the hose out of the water at night?

My 65g jungle October rain
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Chad, the only reason I don't want to do that is b/c of the likelihood of me forgetting. I need something automated since I have ADD level 50.

Also, the hose is tapped directly into the side of my Rena Filstar intake, and removing it is quite difficult (rigid tubing and tight fit). There are other places I could disconnect it, like at the soda bottle cap, but that always has the tendency to weaken the air tubing seal..... causing a leak.

Great info, btw, yall. Thanks.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Just put an airstone on a timer(make sure it has a check valve). Keep it in the tank near the output. By far the easiest and cheapest way to do it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/94%)
So, in my 33, I have my co2 diffused through a Hagen Mini Elite. I have the mini elite on a timer with my lights. So when my light turns off, so does my mini. Then all I get are huge bubbles at night, that don't do anything to my water.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
thats a good idead ms nikki, I may move my powerhead for my diffuser onto my light timer. this morning when i came down before the lights came on my drop checker showed just bit more yellowish than I want. not dangerously so but close enough to worry me about my O2 greedy fish like my stingray pleco.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnikkistar View Post
So, in my 33, I have my co2 diffused through a Hagen Mini Elite. I have the mini elite on a timer with my lights. So when my light turns off, so does my mini. Then all I get are huge bubbles at night, that don't do anything to my water.
This is the same thing I do, and I couldn't be happier. I was concerned with the same thing as you are, especially when I was using a bubble ladder/counter. Then I found the thread on the Hagen Mini Filter, and ordered two of them (can't go wrong for $20 shipped). I turn mine on 45 minutes before the lights come on, then off at the same time the lights go off. It's made a WORLD of difference. I thought I had decent plant growth before I had put the Hagen in, but now things are just exploding.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode