CO2 Tubing.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
CO2 Tubing....

My mom is on fulltime oxygen and when she comes over to visit they bring over all the tubing, machines, etc... Well, when she leaves all the tubing remains behind. Over 50' of tubing that looks a lot like what we purchase for aquarium usage.....

Is this safe to use for CO2 or does anyone know? I couldn't find the type of tubing it is exactly when searching online.

125 Gallon AGA w/ Overflows
Filtration: Ehiem 2026 Filter, Dual "Ghetto" Overflow Internal Filters
Lighting: 1x96W Current USA CF - 2x96W Generic CF
Co2: Pressurized Co2 - Rex Grigg Regulator, SMS 122, and Rex Grigg Reactor.
Plants: Pogostemon yatabeanus, Foxtail, Bacopa, Egeria najas, Anubius, E. 'Ozelot Red', Ranalisma rostrata, Hornwort, Rotala Indica, Ludwigia Repens, Vals, Cabomba, Lilly, MoneyWort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 01:00 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
That would be very interesting indeed. Most membranes that are permeable to O2 are permeable to CO2. So her O2 tubing should be a pretty good CO2 tube, but I'm not sure. Are there any markings on the tube?

- Sam P -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 09:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
i work full time at a hospital and have access to this tubing. i can check with the respiratory dept. and find out what they're made of, and use that to find out if they're CO2 permeable. my guess is that they're the same as the clear vinyl tubing from the lfs (clear, non-silicone) for 2 reasons.

1. oxygen loss across the walls of the tubing will be minimal at a flow of 2-15 liters / minute with no real buildup of pressure on the line like there is in a CO2 rig. the holes in an oxygen cannula (part that goes in a person's nose) are about 1/8" in diameter, and allow pretty free flow of oxygen through the tube, whereas a CO2 line run into an airstone or a container of water is much tougher to push gas through (it's easier to blow through a straw in the air than in a glass of water). in any case, the gas would follow the path of least resistance out of the tube and into the person's nose well before it would start pressing on the walls of the tube hard enough to squeeze between molecules of the tube and out into the room.

2. price. the tubing we all buy at petco, petsmart, lfs, wal-mart, big als is most likely the cheapest thing aquarium supply companies can get their hands on that will push a gas into a liquid and not foul the water. the same is true of oxygen tubing. if it does the job and doesn't hurt anything, why spend more money? i'm not saying that research and development aren't involved in O2 tubing, but when it comes to hospitals buying the stuff in bulk, the best price is usually the guy with the cheapest supply and the simplest product.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 09:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
the tubing here is definitely vinyl. read it off the package 2 minutes ago.
this is a good thing if you read the post about CO2 permeability through different types of tubing that was up recently (can't remember who posted it, sorry) vinyl was fairly high on the list, far above silicone. i think polyethelene was a little higher, but not enough to worry about if you have access to free vinyl. other numbers i'm foggy on. ahh here it is:

http://www.coleparmer.com/techinfo/t...tingTubing.htm
and here is the thread: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...t=permeability

Eheim Pimp #171

; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Very cool. I have access to tons of this. I have about 75' here and they replace it every few months for my mom so I can get her old ones when she comes over to visit.

125 Gallon AGA w/ Overflows
Filtration: Ehiem 2026 Filter, Dual "Ghetto" Overflow Internal Filters
Lighting: 1x96W Current USA CF - 2x96W Generic CF
Co2: Pressurized Co2 - Rex Grigg Regulator, SMS 122, and Rex Grigg Reactor.
Plants: Pogostemon yatabeanus, Foxtail, Bacopa, Egeria najas, Anubius, E. 'Ozelot Red', Ranalisma rostrata, Hornwort, Rotala Indica, Ludwigia Repens, Vals, Cabomba, Lilly, MoneyWort

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode