What GPH/max head water pump do I need? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Robin Conor Sallade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What GPH/max head water pump do I need?

So I am building a paludarium with a false bottom, the water-false bottom interface is going to have a sponge around it to be a matten-filter with the pump underwater under the false bottom. The pump will move the water to the other side of the aquarium to then pump vertical to a waterfall. The aquarium is a 20-long and will in the end be something like 40% Land 60% water with the land starting roughly 6.5-7inches off the ground leaving the tank to be roughly a total of 10gallons of water with roughly 6 gallons of non sectioned off water (thinking a betta tank). The pump is going to be in kinda in the back and the middle or the back corner to get a relatively even flow through the matten sponge, which equates to a horizontal of 23inches (pump in the back middle) to 26inches (pump in the back corner) then a vertical of 7 to 8 inches for waterfall. What max head do I need/what GPH should i be looking at? Amazon has some cheap 80GPHs with max heads of 2ft 6inches (30inches).

Ecology student with too much time on his hands...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 02:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Conor Sallade View Post
So I am building a paludarium with a false bottom, the water-false bottom interface is going to have a sponge around it to be a matten-filter with the pump underwater under the false bottom. The pump will move the water to the other side of the aquarium to then pump vertical to a waterfall. The aquarium is a 20-long and will in the end be something like 40% Land 60% water with the land starting roughly 6.5-7inches off the ground leaving the tank to be roughly a total of 10gallons of water with roughly 6 gallons of non sectioned off water (thinking a betta tank). The pump is going to be in kinda in the back and the middle or the back corner to get a relatively even flow through the matten sponge, which equates to a horizontal of 23inches (pump in the back middle) to 26inches (pump in the back corner) then a vertical of 7 to 8 inches for waterfall. What max head do I need/what GPH should i be looking at? Amazon has some cheap 80GPHs with max heads of 2ft 6inches (30inches).
Any chance you could put together a drawing? Regardless of what size pump you need I always find in unknown circumstances or a project like this where aesthetics is involved its best to have something you can make adjustments to.

Dan
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The pump isn't on the drawing but this is the rough to size design

Here is a better one with the possible pump locations
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170506_020308_1494086831221.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	754370  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170506_122126_1494087716933.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	754378  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-07-2017 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 04:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

what kind of flow are you looking for out of the waterfall? factors like width will play a big roll in the amount of water needed to make it look natural. Did you just want a trickle or cascading effect?

Dan
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Kinda something in between a trickle and a Cascade probably, betta tend to dislike too much flow (in general). Im thinking a 1inch or so drop down rocks but I want a decent flow out of it to keep a good cycle going and filtration. Maybe a fall with a flow around equal to or slightly greater than a typical HOB but will be trickling down rock.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 05:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

This is cheap and adjustable and would give you about 10x gph at max rate which would be more than plenty and will still allow you to lower the flow to the desired rate.

https://www.amazon.com/Homasy-Submer...+aquarium+pump

Dan
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool thanks
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode