tank stand (with wheels) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
tank stand (with wheels)

i've been thinking about making some tank stands and racks that have some heavy duty wheels on them. anyone done this? advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If mobility is what you're looking for, then why not try a tank stand with protruding legs and use these: http://www.ezmoves.com/ <-- doesn't have to be the exact same ones, just look for furniture sliders or something like that.

They usually sell them at large retail stores. Home Depot and Lowes carry the more durable and industrial grade furniture sliders to acompany heavy weights. Just an idea.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

those things are only good on carpet. i appreciate the input though.

all of my tanks are in a fishroom in the basement with a concrete floor. i plan on putting up sheet rock and insulation, just not yet. i would like to get my tanks up off of the floor so i figured i would make some movable stands so that i can work in the room easily without having to break things down

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Check out a good hardware store or lowes/hd for heavy duty casters. I would look at wheels that hold 1/2 the total weight of your tank each. I know, this is "overkill" but it is safer. If you are going to have 400 lbs on a rack, have wheels rated for at least 200 lbs on each leg.

I prefer the all metal caster, particularly on cement floors.

Something like these
http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...m_source=froog

I would recommend building them to a wider and deeper dimensions that the tanks they hold.

Lots of options, but the cast type are very nice. I would make sure the tank is brace in an X in the back and sides to prevent it from twisting apart. A nice way to do it is with 2 x 2x4 boards screwed together then use a metal strapping or rod for tension support. You can get the metal rods in shelving departments or places that sell custom shelving for industrial purpose.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 04:58 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
If mobility is what you're looking for, then why not try a tank stand with protruding legs and use these: http://www.ezmoves.com/ <-- doesn't have to be the exact same ones, just look for furniture sliders or something like that.
From website:

Ideal for moving appliances, filing cabinets, stacks of boxes and other large, bulky items on hard surface floors.

--
125 - Yoyo, Burmese, Polka-Dot, Clown, & splendida
75 - Queen, Zebra, Skunk, Sid, Sumo & Serpent loaches
75 - new, no fish yet
10 - quarantine
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

yeah but when they are on hard surfaces, like cement the cement scratches them up pretty bad and will be unusable quickly. on hard surfaces like hardwood floors and laminate, they collect tiny pieces of dirt and scratch the floor. i'm a carpet cleaner and have used them many times. beleive me, they are crap for anything but carpet.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
I would go with the metal caster too. If the tanks are on the larger size, say 30 gal and up, just don't make the stands and racks too high. A high center of gravity is not a good thing. Also, make the base wider and brace the hell out of them.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

thanks for the feedback guys. is there a reason you would go with the metal casters instead of those heavy duty rubber ones?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

The concrete and all those little dust bits will slowly eat at the rubber. The metal casters will just smash all those little bits and not degrade over time.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I'd be concerned with any flex at all in the stand. In CA it might not be so good since they'd walk across the room when the earth moves. lol

Rubber casters will develop flat spots.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 10:34 PM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
I had a 10 gallon on one of those cheap microwave carts with plastic wheels for many years growing up. I loved it, I would remove half the water and wheel it to a new location. I love rearranging furniture. I would definitely consider metal wheels and a safety removable strap to the location so it doesn't accidentally get bumped and hurting someone if I were going to do more than a 10 gallon, though.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Or you could get casters that have locks on them.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

thats what i was thinking with the locks on them but have never seen the metal ones with them (also havent looked though).

thank god i dont live in CA, i have no idea how people do that. how can you feel safe when the ground is moving around on you. not for me!

sewingalot, how sturdy was the cart?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

I had a cheap microwave cart a while ago that could hole a 10gal no problem. It was a wooden one but with those cheap plastic wheels. It was pretty sturdy but I wouldn't move it full. Even half empty, the water would slosh a bit. It was more becuase of the wheels than the cart itself. I think I paid like $20 for it at ross.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
I've seen it done before, but mostly with reef tank sumps so they could be rolled into an more comfortable working space. I don't think it's a bad idea if it creates more usable space for you. I don't have direct experience, but I would probably go with a leveling caster for the ability to adjust on an uneven floor.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode