DYI CO2 for 36 Gallon Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
DYI CO2 for 36 Gallon Tank

Need advice, sort of new to CO2 systems, I am planning on making my DYI C02 system this weekend. After reading few articles I am still unclear about following:

1. Is one 2 liter bottle enough to supply sufficient C02 levels for rich growth in 36 gallon tank?

2. What happens once a mixture runs out and no replacement bottle has been used, does the Ph drop dangerously low possibly killing fish? Any way to avoid this?

3. Where can I find tubing specific for CO2 gas, I cannot find any in my LPS?

THX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
1. Is one 2 liter bottle enough to supply sufficient C02 levels for rich growth in 36 gallon tank? Nope.

2. What happens once a mixture runs out and no replacement bottle has been used, does the Ph drop dangerously low possibly killing fish? Any way to avoid this? Nope. And you've got the relationship backwards. Anyway, DIY produces very little CO2, so you won't have a problem.

3. Where can I find tubing specific for CO2 gas, I cannot find any in my LPS?
Check the forum sponsors. I just bought some from GLA.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks, looks like i need to read up on this before i get started.. too many noob mistakes....haha

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

what would be the optimal DYI set up for 36 Gallon tank, right now i am getting about 1.33WPG, is this much WPG worth the trouble of a DYI CO2?
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 04:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyn1 View Post
what would be the optimal DYI set up for 36 Gallon tank, right now i am getting about 1.33WPG, is this much WPG worth the trouble of a DYI CO2?

If I were you, I wouldn't bother. The amount of CO2 generated is so small that I doubt you'd see any perceptible difference.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 04:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
The addition of any CO2 will be beneficial to your plants, while 1 2L bottle is probably not enough, you could set up 2-3 2L bottles and that will definitely supply you with a good amount of CO2. With multiple bottles you can change one every week which maintains a near constant flow to avoid any drastic changes in CO2. As for tubing, just regular old airline tubing will be fine.

How do you plan on dissolving your CO2? I would suggest setting up an inline reactor, this will vastly improve the efficiency of the DIY CO2 set-up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharsis View Post
The addition of any CO2 will be beneficial to your plants, while 1 2L bottle is probably not enough, you could set up 2-3 2L bottles and that will definitely supply you with a good amount of CO2. With multiple bottles you can change one every week which maintains a near constant flow to avoid any drastic changes in CO2. As for tubing, just regular old airline tubing will be fine.

How do you plan on dissolving your CO2? I would suggest setting up an inline reactor, this will vastly improve the efficiency of the DIY CO2 set-up.

You can ghetto fab a whole bank of yeast bottles, but it's still a bad solution to a very easily solved problem.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
I use three 2L bottles of DIY CO2 in my 10g tank. 2 of them contain 1 tsp of yeast and the last bottle has 1/2 tsp of yeast.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 12:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am using this co2 DIY system and I recommend it:
http://freshwater-aquarium-passion.b...injection.html

- for people with passion for aquariums
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 12:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger View Post
You can ghetto fab a whole bank of yeast bottles, but it's still a bad solution to a very easily solved problem.
Please elaborate...

Many people myself included have managed to use DIY CO2 with great success. To throw out a blanket statement like 'it is pointless and won't do any good' is wrong. Some people either can't afford a full CO2 system or they simply enjoy DIY projects and experimenting. DIY CO2 is certainly a viable alternative and these people should not be scared away from doing it if they want to just because you have a preconceived notion that it is 'bad solution'. Sure it is not the 'best solution' but sometimes the best solution isn't the best solution, you know what I mean.

post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:

I used to use two 1 gallon bottles hooked in tandem to my 46 gallon BF.
It did produce enough CO2 but I did change one bottle a week.
I diffused the gas through the intake of my XP2 canister. It did work well but I got tired
of mixing a new batch every week. I went pressurized.
Good luck
Charles
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 12:48 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
If I were you, I wouldn't bother. The amount of CO2 generated is so small that I doubt you'd see any perceptible difference.
I'm new to this planted tank stuff, I've only been going for a couple of months. But it seems like just saying nope won't work isn't really fair. I'm running DIY CO2 on my 75G and my drop checker stays a nice bright green. I'm running 2 - 1 Gallon bottles that are staggered started. I also dose some excel to augment and control algae just in case my CO2 gets out of wack.

You can see my tank here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...-my-first.html Look at the first shot and the second shot a little further down. My plants are growing well, and algae isn't a big problem at the moment. My plants had a noticeable increase in growth when I added the DIY CO2.

I've spent all my money on plants, and any more money I get for a while will be for fish. Right now I don't have the $200 to do CO2 tanks and DIY CO2 is working well for me. Eventually I'll get a reg and a CO2 canister, but until then I do what I have to do.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Please elaborate...

How many threads are dedicated to the desperate avoidance of pressurized CO2? Chemicals, yeast, magical hardware, and of course having to tailor your entire aquascape around a lack of CO2. People will spend thousands of the rest of their setup, but always seem to run short when they need CO2.

$0.50 incandescent light bulbs from the hardware store are cheap and I'm sure produce some minimal amount of PAR, but they still suck for growing plants. DIY CO2 is in the same category. Better than nothing, but not by much. People spend money on lighting because it's easy to understand and provides an instant, visual payoff (OMG bright). Pressurized CO2 requires a little more study and patience, so hobbyists talk themselves out of it.

If you can't afford or don't want pressurized, then stick with plants that do well without it. Otherwise, get a pressurized setup (you can always buy used, trade, DIY from ebay parts) and be done with it. Don't fool yourself into thinking that a bank of soda bottles with yeast water is what you need.
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think you are missing the point...clearly a pressurized CO2 system is easier and more efficient, but that is not what the TS was asking. Your dissmissive answer to his questions were misleading and wrong. Sure it is less stable and more inconvenient but it is still possible to maintain high levels of CO2 capable of growing a wide variety of plants.

Quote:
If you can't afford or don't want pressurized, then stick with plants that do well without it.
Why?

Just because you didn't have the patience 10 years ago to mix sugar/yeast and water together doesn't mean it can't be done or it is somehow a pointless endeavor. You are stating that DIY CO2 is useless, but it clearly is not. Many people are capable of developing a DIY CO2 system where they can maintain 30 ppm and grow great looking plants.

I am not fooling myself that DIY CO2 is what I NEED, but it is what I HAVE until I can upgrade. In the meantime I will optimize it to the best that I can. There are countless threads showing great successess with DIY CO2 so in my opinion it seems kind of silly to be patrolling threads telling people it is pointless.

anyways sorry to totally derail this thread...

post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Some people do spend thousands, but some people have to buy a little at the time. I have T8 lights because they were cheap and convenient. Would it be nice to have a nice t5HO? Sure. Would it have cost me twice as much? Yes. Are my plants still growing well with the T8s? Absolutely. The same applies to CO2. So far my DIY CO2 is doing well. My plants are growing and pearling like crazy. Would a pressurized CO2 setup be better? Sure. Until then, DIY will fill the gap and let me enjoy watching things grow.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode