Paintball CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Paintball CO2

I have read that there are a million threads on this, but cant really find one that does what I need it to do.

I know NOTHING about pressurized co2. I have built a pretty nifty DIY co2, and a DIY diffuser using a small powerhead and some spare parts I had lying around.

I am currently dealing with some problems with it, and it has frustrated me to the point where I want to go pressurized.

The paintball concept seems like it would be quantity appropriate for my 10g, and less expensive then buying all those cartridges.

Can people start pointing me in the right directions? Good links to read, advice from people that have done it, overall cost/efficiency?

Thanks guys

Eheim Pimp #423
My Riparium:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:07 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Please take a look at the primer to pressurized CO2 article that I have written. It is linked in my signature.

I would say a 5 lb CO2 cylinder is the way to go (or even a 10 lb cylinder) as opposed to a paintball canister.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (24/100%)
I use the red sea paintball on my 30 gallon. 20 oz bottle last about 47 days at 1-2 bps. Run it into a pvc reactor powered by a quiet one 2200.
you should be fine on a 10 gallon.
Dont bother with the reactor they send with it.
just my 2c

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alright...well even if I AM going to piece together a "regular" co2 system...whats the best bet? Will it be cheaper/better for a complete novice to just buy a whole setup?

I sort of like the idea of putting it together slowly, thereby costing me less money.

Eheim Pimp #423
My Riparium:
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisherfleshy View Post
Alright...well even if I AM going to piece together a "regular" co2 system...whats the best bet? Will it be cheaper/better for a complete novice to just buy a whole setup?

I sort of like the idea of putting it together slowly, thereby costing me less money.

How does putting it together slowly cost less money? If anything, it costs more money.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisherfleshy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger View Post
How does putting it together slowly cost less money? If anything, it costs more money.
Putting it together slowly means that you will sourcing the individual pieces, and looking for the best deals on eBay and/or the Swap and Shop forums.

It does not mean buying the first regulator that you see on eBay. There have been many people that have bought very cheap dual stage regulators for under 50 USD. There have also been many people that have bought excellent metering valves for less than 10 USD (myself included).

In the end, if you have the patience, by piecing together a pressurized CO2 system yourself, it will be cheaper than buying a pre-built system. However, if you do not feel comfortable with DIY and/or do not have the patience, then you have the option of buying a pre-built system.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Putting it together slowly means that you will sourcing the individual pieces, and looking for the best deals on eBay and/or the Swap and Shop forums.

It does not mean buying the first regulator that you see on eBay. There have been many people that have bought very cheap dual stage regulators for under 50 USD. There have also been many people that have bought excellent metering valves for less than 10 USD (myself included).

In the end, if you have the patience, by piecing together a pressurized CO2 system yourself, it will be cheaper than buying a pre-built system. However, if you do not feel comfortable with DIY and/or do not have the patience, then you have the option of buying a pre-built system.

Interesting. It's been awhile since I've done the math, but doesn't the cost of shipping each individual component erode any savings you might obtain vs. purchasing a complete unit from one of our lovely vendors?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 12:43 PM

It depends

If you manage to get a metering valve for a a few bucks, then using the cheapest flat rate option, the total is still quite cheap.

The setup I have pictured in my article cost me about 150 USD (minus the CO2 cylinder). If I was more patient, I could have gotten everything (again minus the cylinder) for ~120 USD...

Anthony

and

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What are everyone's favorite bang for buck pieces?

Eheim Pimp #423
My Riparium:
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you want to build a setup, you might want to read the thread below. It is very long but has part numbers for recommended parts. You can also ask questions and there are alot of people willing to help and give advice.

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php?t=6470
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I spent about $130 for my co2 set up, tank, regulator, bubble counter and ceramic diffusor.

$80 for the azoo regulator from fosters and smith. (a lot of people have bad things to say but it works just fine for me. The needle valve on this regulator is hard to adjust but once you do get it just right it stays put. I guess you can upgrade to a better valve if you'd like to constantly adjust and finagle with your co2 but I set it and forget it.

The only issue I had with it was when I tried to split the line. Since you can't really regulate the pressure, it didn't have enough pressure to run 2 lines with inline needle valves, so something to consider.

$4 plastic inline bubble counter
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/23002/product.web I love this because they don't break, and are clear just like the glass ones. I've broken about 2-3 glass ones and I just gave up and bought a plastic one.

$20 for a glass diffuser from aqmagic.com

and the tank, the tank I did some weird trading for and ended up paying about $20-25 bucks for a 5lb tank. Bought a 20lb for $60, traded it for a 5lb tank w/ regulator, sold the regulator for $35 or $40 (don't remember)

So yeah, buying off the shelf products can be a good way to go. I'm sure you can get higher quality stuff but what I have works just fine.

Edit: I was in the same boat as you. I had no idea what to get when I started out, and all the terms really threw me off. Basically, you'll need a regulator that has a needle valve attached to it (this is to fine tune the rate of flow). A solenoid is needed if you want to turn it on and off at night. I have my set up hooked up to a timer so it turns off when the lights are off.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would like a solenoid...I feel like thats something you might as well get. Why waste co2 at night?

I have a ceramic diffuser comming that I am hopefully going to be able to use on my DIY for awhile while I start putting together my setup.

Eheim Pimp #423
My Riparium:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode