Stand: Formica or not ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stand: Formica or not ?

Hi Guys,

In process to order a new strand, i want some review on stand with formica.

Thanks,

Xenaph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have never used one with a laminate cover but then I have not looked at one as needed. Some depends on why you might want one? If for appearance, they might be nice with a wide range of décor available.
But then I might want to question a bit of what is under the laminate as it is often very weak. Particle board or MDF? Those can be okay but it depends on how the parts are fastened together. Some fasteners will pull out way too easy for me to recommend.
No help beyond those thoughts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
It will be a wood stand.
Want a blue gloss formica peninsula

That why i ask, if i'm too outrider, want something modern in the middle of my place.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 02:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Good solid wood and a good design and I would see a laminate as a super slick finish. Easy to clean, far more water resistant than most stands and very durable as long as it doesn't get super abuse. Somewhat more expensive but then it does let us get far more custom appearance and we have to agree that is what we want? Sometimes we want it just because we want it!
Feel free to express the inner self if it makes you happy!

If it make you broke, don't do it!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
It looks really nice and I would go for it if you have the tools to do it (I don't). I am going to make ADA style stand for my 60P in the near future and decided to go with paint. I highly recommend this stuff if you go for paint, though I don't know if you will get the color you need: Trim, Door & Furniture Paint & Reviews - Glidden Paint | Glidden.com

I just did my bathroom vanity with it and it is crazy durable and has a really nice gloss. A lot of reviews will say it doesn't self level well, but I thought it did an amazing job doing so. It also made some not so perfect areas that were not really visible look better. However, it takes a long time to not smell, which didn't bother me, but bothered my wife.

Just another option that I recommend if you want to save some time and money, I have seen plenty of painted DIY ADA style stands (what I am into) and I think with the right attention to detail, painted can look almost as good as Formica, especially in the ADA style grey, but I understand that may not be everyone's thing.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 05:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Formica is great, and I love some of the options you just can't do with anything else.

I just ordered some thermofoil for my tank stand after working with it for some other projects.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode