Is a little CO2 injection better than none? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is a little CO2 injection better than none?

I've set up DIY CO2 on my 70G community tank. It's a 2 bottle win yeast setup that's running about 90 bpm. I've got a drop checker set up and it looks like i'm getting a nice pale green color at 10-15ppm of co2 (I'm running 1dh solution because I knew I'd never get to 30ppm on this setup). I know 30ppm is the golden number for co2, but are the results scalable? If I can maintain 10ppm is that still better than nothing at all, or is everything under 25ppm a lost cause?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Any CO2 is better than none, but having the same amount every day is best, no matter what that amount is. That is the weakness of DIY CO2, unless you are very careful to keep the start times of the bottles staggered, so as one starts to taper off on CO2 production, the other is building up on CO2 production.

With low CO2 you shouldn't try high light. Low to medium light will be much better, in that algae will be far less likely with the lower light.

Hoppy
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've got 78W of T5HO on some fairly foggy glass tops on about 7 hours a day. So probably less than 1WPG, but I know T5HO gets better PAR, so I've been told I'm in the Medium light range. I had just been running 1 bottle of bread yeast, but this week I switched to 2 bottles. I'm going to stagger champagne yeast in them every week or week and a half, as necessary.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You very likely have high light - I assume that tank is 24 inches high or less. Rather than rely on the cloudy glass at the top as a light filter, keep it clean, but use a layer of window screen on the top to reduce the intensity down to medium light.

Hoppy
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:25 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Hoppy - this is somewhat related, not trying to steal red's thunder, but i am running a 48W of T5HO on a 36 gallon tank, based on my calculation it's about 1.33WPG, do you think a DYI CO2 system with one 2 liter bottle would be beneficial?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:36 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
You probably have a lot more lighting than you anticipated.

The WPG guideline is very outdated, and cannot be applied to T5 (much less T5HO) bulbs.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
I tried it once 10 years ago and bought a pressurized setup the next day (still in use!). That's the rub with DIY CO2. Even if you manage to generate enough gas, it's far too sporadic and unreliable for plants that need supplemental CO2. I know pressurized is expensive (to a varying degree), but there is absolutely no substitute for rock solid 30ppm day in and day out.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hoppy,
The tank is actually pretty tall. Right at 24 inches.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger View Post
I tried it once 10 years ago and bought a pressurized setup the next day (still in use!). That's the rub with DIY CO2. Even if you manage to generate enough gas, it's far too sporadic and unreliable for plants that need supplemental CO2. I know pressurized is expensive (to a varying degree), but there is absolutely no substitute for rock solid 30ppm day in and day out.
Sorry but this is just no true! And what do you know about DIY Co2, you attemped it for ONE day! LOL You know nothing!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbouche View Post
I've set up DIY CO2 on my 70G community tank. It's a 2 bottle win yeast setup that's running about 90 bpm. I've got a drop checker set up and it looks like i'm getting a nice pale green color at 10-15ppm of co2 (I'm running 1dh solution because I knew I'd never get to 30ppm on this setup). I know 30ppm is the golden number for co2, but are the results scalable? If I can maintain 10ppm is that still better than nothing at all, or is everything under 25ppm a lost cause?
I would say DIY on a 70 gallon would require a lot of 2 liter bottles! I run DIY on a 46 gallon and it takes 3 2L bottles and near 100% defusion to get 30+ppm.

I think you need a pressure system for this tank. It would be cheaper in the end.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
This is my high light DIY CO2 tank, I did DIY for about 10 years, PITA, get canned gas tank CO2 asap. Well worth it's weight in gold.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Algae Grower

Those lights remind me of the old Dupla ones!

Regards,

Art
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Plantman View Post
Sorry but this is just no true! And what do you know about DIY Co2, you attemped it for ONE day! LOL You know nothing!
You may be the white knight of DIY CO2, but you will never win this argument. DIY CO2 sucks.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger View Post
You may be the white knight of DIY CO2, but you will never win this argument. DIY CO2 sucks.
No one here is trying to win anything dude. LOL You said DIY Co2 doesn't work and is crap. LOL

You are wrong! And it is wrong of you to spread misinformation.

DIY Co2 does work, even Tom Barr has used it with success. Admittedly, it is more work and a PITA when compared against a good quality pressure system. However, for those wishing to run Co2 but don't have the upfront cash or just wish to experiment, it is a viable option, as I and many others have proven. Now I can only say for certain that it can be done on tanks up to 46 gallons running canister filters and implemented with the use of an inline diffuser.

Just because you did not have the skill/patients to design and implement a functioning DIY system doesn’t mean others are as incapable as you.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode