DIY Vortex Co2 Diffuser - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
DIY Vortex Co2 Diffuser

I decided to go back to CO2 injection into my 72 tropical. However with the new DIY sump I added there was no place to add my old tall CO2 flame reactor (which I never posted but it was 100% effective/efficient). And I did not want another pump running all the damn time. So I used an Idea had seen before somewhere (proably here) and decided to use a gravity powered Vortex diffuser.

It simply will spin the water around inside a tube while the CO2 is injected up top. and the water swirls around inside and takes it as it can. the force of the bubble wanting to float keeps it from exiting the tube. To help the water spin I made the pipe come in flush with the tube.

To do this I just drilled a 1" hole straight in. Then took a 1 inch wooden rod and put it in. Heated it with a heat gun till the plastic could bend then pet it till the pipe could enter at that angle and blend nicely into the side. I glued it in place and then heated the pipe so that the hole side of the pipe is flush and not just the crest of the circle.

I left the bottom funnel unglued for maintenance. It sits in the bottom water disperser with it slittle factory flange. I figure if I want more spin on the water I can open it up and use a series of reducers to make a more tornatic shape and push the funnel up higher for quicker water spinning and to draw the CO2 bubble out. However I am not sure this is needed yet.

The hardest part was making it conform to my height restrictions. I had to cut all the fittings down so they all fit into each other nice and compact. I simply held them with needle nose pliers and used (as I do with all PVC) for old warn dull fine tools saw blade. I don't make it cut I mearly slowly slowly lower it into the pipe. the heat melts it and it tosses it away in strings. You have to let th blade cool every few moments by keeping it spinning but not cutting. You know when you can feel heat all over your hands.

Pictures.

Here you can see the heated and bent out pipe.

here you can see the pipe going in flush and the hole the CO2 will be entering.

and the stand thing that holds the lower funnel and such. I need to buy a one inch reducer for it I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
And here she is installed but not yet putting in CO2 or capped off. Also, you can see how my sump is set up. As you can see if is just a container that fits perfectly under a standard store bought stand. Has a up pipe. Main water down pipe connects to the Vortex Diffuser. The other pipe is for additional water from the OFB. It is very quite system and now even more quite. Even IF the reactor does not run as desired it will still be a great bubble rector and all the tank water is exposed to it 9 times an hour. It also makes the current into the sump a lot less hectic and evenly distributes the water now.

BTW for those that may remember I had all canisters. I converted to sump from canisters are HOBs when they clogged and ALL my pearl gouramis died. T__T

Here you can see some of the floating Media I use to keep all media wet when the water rises and falls. I ave more none floating on the bottom. The water is murky cause I just dug it up to sink the reactor pylon into it. You cna also see my lovely snails in the sump were the fish don't eat them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode