Need A Simple Way To Seal Holes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)
Need A Simple Way To Seal Holes

I built a set of DIY intake/output tubes for my CO2 reactor. I also realized after I set up my contraption that I drilled the holes too high in the intake and now need a way to plug the holes that are furthest up. It's very close to the water surface and I don't want this thing to burn out my pump sucking air. Any suggestions? It has to be able to be put into use relatively immediately, so simply siliconing the openings is out.

C. Smith
1. Watt [ wot ]: noun -- the SI unit of power, equivalent to one joule per second and equal to the power in a circuit in which a current of one ampere flows across a potential difference of one volt.
2. Per [ pur; unstressed per ]: preposition -- for each; for every.
3. Gallon [ gal-uhn ]: noun -- a common unit of capacity in English-speaking countries, equal to four quarts.
What does this have to do with growing plants?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 03:14 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
i forget the name of the product. but there is a PVC type glue that actually melts the PVC and bids it, though i would just scrap it and start over.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
2 part epoxy, but i would just scrap it and do it again.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
what is the O.D. of the pipe? looks like 3/4. go get a 3/4" coupler cut it to the height you need to seal the hole(s) then cut it in half. glue(cement) it to the pipe in question where you need it. the bond will be permanent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It's in the tank, connected and running already. That's my issue (and I'm lazy). I'll search for a while longer, but redoing it seems like it'll have to be the way to go.

C. Smith
1. Watt [ wot ]: noun -- the SI unit of power, equivalent to one joule per second and equal to the power in a circuit in which a current of one ampere flows across a potential difference of one volt.
3. Gallon [ gal-uhn ]: noun -- a common unit of capacity in English-speaking countries, equal to four quarts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Missed your post. That could work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajata View Post
what is the O.D. of the pipe? looks like 3/4. go get a 3/4" coupler cut it to the height you need to seal the hole(s) then cut it in half. glue(cement) it to the pipe in question where you need it. the bond will be permanent.

C. Smith
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
For a temporary fix, just get black electrical tape and wrap a couple of layers around the tube to cover the holes. That should give you a couple of weeks to work on a replacement. Or, go to a hardware store with a small piece of that tube, and find some vinyl flexible tubing with an ID near that tube's OD. Cut an inch of that vinyl tube, split one side of it and snap it over the holes.

Hoppy
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 04:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)
A hot glue gun might be good
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. In the end I just redid the intake pipes and drilled 1.5 inches lower. I didn't test them out, so hopefully I got enough pipe dope on them to keep them from leaking out of the top.

C. Smith

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode