stupid hagen - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
stupid hagen

im only getting 3.9 ppm of c02 in my tank. i spent 30 bucks on that thing. so if i remove the stock canister and hook it up to a 2l bottle....will i get more c02? also, whats a good recipe for the 2l setup using the hagen. does anybody know if the flourish excel is any good? how much c02 does it generate? sorry im asking so many questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 09:31 PM

Put the packets aside. Fill sugar to the first line, add about 1/4 tsp of yeast and about 1 tsp of baking soda. (This recipe is off this site). Fill with water to the second line (marker). Voila. Better CO2 results visually almost immediately.

Best part? You get to keep the system you paid the money for anyway. Hang your canister off the tank and use the ladder.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

does the water have to be a certain temp so the yeast can activate? will this get me into a range of 15-20 ppm for c02? how about flourish excel? any good?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 01:54 AM

Hagen for a 30 gallon is pushing the limit.

Give it some time, use the mix posted above, then if you are still unhappy, try using a larger canister, a soda or juice bottle (juice bottle is square on bottom and more stable). You will lose the benefit of having the bottle hung on the tank, but you may be albe to rig up some sort of holder to keep the bottle level with the tank -- this eliminates the possiblilty of siphoning, which can easily happen with the bottle under the tank.

Oh, with the Eclipse hood, does that have a biowheel? Or does it cascade water into the tank? That fallling water can drive off the CO2 you are adding. So, take a look at surface disturbances and how that affects the CO2 you lose.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

there is a biowheel but it has very little disturbance on the surface. im getting about 7 bubbles per minute now. is that suitable enough?

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
7 bubbles per second isn't going to do anything for you, but the bubble rate should increase with a little time. With my 29 gallon I used a 3 L bottle then switched to a 1 gallon orange juice container with good results. I found that I was only getting 2-2.5 weeks of good CO2 production. I supplemented the tank with excel near the end of the cycle to smooth out the carbon swings until the new bach was up and running.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

7 bubbles per second isn't going to do anything for you, but the bubble rate should increase with a little time. With my 29 gallon I used a 3 L bottle then switched to a 1 gallon orange juice container with good results.

clone, whats your recipe for the 3L bottle and the 1 gall bottle? do you know how much c02 the flourish excel outputs?

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 11:18 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Did you give up on the Hagen canister? Let me know!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
Did you give up on the Hagen canister? Let me know!

Mike
mike,
i still have the canister but i used the recipe i got from you guys. im still not getting as much c02 as i wanted. i had about 3 ppm of c02 before i did the diy recipe and now with the new recipe i have a little bit more than 6 ppm of c02. i gave it good shake and i got a little bit more. this is only the second day of the diy recipe. is it supposed to still increase? i want to get around the 15-20 ppm range tho. any suggestions? also is flourish excel any good? how much ppm of c02?

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use the packets, get about 7 bpm. I'm gonna switch to different yeast and baking soda. With the eclipse hood, the water pours out of the filter with ALOT of strength, and really aggitates the surface. This could be the problem
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 01:07 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I think the CO2 will increase a bit more for you. Just give it a little time.

Problem is, the single Hagen unit just might not be enough for that 30G. I have two Hagen units running on a high light 20G, and I get good levels. You might want to add a DIY bottle in addition to your Hagen and see what the levels get up to then. Pressurized would certainly do the trick, but i am not sure if that is an option for you at this point.

Flourish Excel is a great product for smaller aquariums, but again, I think the 30G may be a bit too big for the use of Flourish Excel.

Best bet right now is add the DIY set up to the Hagen and see how that effects your CO2 levels.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Best bet right now is add the DIY set up to the Hagen and see how that effects your CO2 levels
how do you suppose i hook up the bottle and the canister together? and what recipe do i use for the 2L

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
For the 3L and 1 gal bottles I just multiplied the DIY recipe described in the Planted Tank article by 1.5 and 4 respectively. Of course there was some experimentation with the recipe. I had a hard time getting the sugar to dissolve so I cut the ingredients back a little.

For whatever reason I would get blue-green algae when my CO2 levels dropped, so I started supplementing with excel when the algae appeared.
I found for the time between low output from the old batch and the lag from the new, about one-week, that 1-2 ml every other day did the trick.

Momotaro is right let the Hagen run it's course. If you are not getting the CO2 levels you want then get a larger vessel.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 01:28 PM

To hook multiple bottles together you can do it a couple ways, the most simple way is to Cut the line and put in a 'T', the other is to make a bubble counter with multiple 'in' connections and a single 'out' connector.

I have a hagen canister and a 2L bottle connected together with a T on a 30 gal with a double biowheel filter, if I keep up with it, it provides me with acceptable CO2 levels. I went to a power head/gravel vac reactor from the ladder and it increased my levels some, but not dramaticly. I try to time my mixture changes so one bottle is in it's prime when the other one is running out.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 11:03 PM

At last someone to answer your flourish excel question. I am using in on my tank and my plants are growing insanly!!!!! It's great but I'm not sure if its just from the flourish excel or the other stuff. Either way I trust seachem with my tank so I would go for it. Seachem says that if CO2 was a 10 on a scale from 1 to 10, flourish excel would be a 7. Its not as good a CO2 but it is still a GREAT product.

Kevin

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode