Aquarium on wheels?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
Aquarium on wheels??

my 55gallon is rightin front the closet doors inside of which is the shut off valve for the gas main.....i know ..i know..there was really no where else to put it..trust me. sooo i would need to be able to move the tank and stand in case of an emergency..like a fire.

i was thinking to get some industrial strength wheel casters or ball bearing casters to put under the stand...id put maybe 8under it. and only move it in case of emergency which prolly means never. anyone ever tried this before?? any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Sure. Itll work. And the splashing will help put out the fire lol. Just get some castors rated for your weight.

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Lmao! ....lets suppose the total weight was 1000lbs(probly closer to 900)...if i used smaller casters even if they were rated for 50lbs..if i used 20 of em..that should work??...just hypothetically

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 04:35 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Be cheaper to get 8 metal ones. You dont want to snap the pin and tilt your tank. Could bust out your glass or tip it over. If you do it I would skimp on the castors. Theyre prioicey for good ones but for safetys sake, if you do it, id get some good ones!

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

point noted..good one too...thanks..simple soln..ill chuck some wood blocks between the casters
yea they are a bit expensive. but im seeing some at home depot rated for 125lbs for 3 or 4$$ each..10 or so of those should do.
i think ill drill them into a 23/32 inch sheet of plywood nd put the stand on it so that i dont split the wood on the stand.
if i get it done tomorrow ill post pics of it and make a new thread so u guys can see my success or failure
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Don't do it. Remember that that 6-7 hundred pounds will all be on those casters putting extreme stress on the floor. If those points are not on joists they will eventually sag the plywood and cause serious problems. If you do decide to do it they make refrigerator rollers that are very small and strong.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I'm curious: I don't think I have ever seen a main gas shut off valve located anywhere inside a building. The only purpose for that valve is in emergencies, and for that it needs to be outside the building. Is that valve installation legal there? Maybe the best answer is to have the valve moved.

If you ever do need to move the tank with casters you can be pretty certain you will slosh water out of the tank, possibly pull the electric connector out of the wall socket, maybe drop the light into the tank (no problem if the electric connector comes out first), and by the time you get all of that worked out, plus find someone to help shove that tank aside, whatever gas emergency you had will be past the critical stage.

Hoppy
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas111 View Post
Don't do it. Remember that that 6-7 hundred pounds will all be on those casters putting extreme stress on the floor. .
its ok...the tank is in the basement. has a solid concrete slab for a floor
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I'm curious:
If you ever do need to move the tank with casters you can be pretty certain you will slosh water out of the tank, possibly pull the electric connector out of the wall socket, maybe drop the light into the tank (no problem if the electric connector comes out first), and by the time you get all of that worked out, plus find someone to help shove that tank aside, whatever gas emergency you had will be past the critical stage.
well...i wont be getting the gas thing changed lol. but right now the tank+stand+full of water with gravel is on those super sliders and it slides without sloshing around(believe it or not)..i swing the tank around rather than laterally moving the whole thing---like opening a door. the thing is my gf needs to be able to move if im not there. and even with the sloshing..the only reason it will be moved is in an emergency so if it does slosh..i can live with that. and if the glass gives ..well...at least the house didnt burn lol
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Castors should not be a problem. You can buy ones that should support a few hundred pound each. I wouldn't mess with anything but the real deal heavy duty ones. They are often used for car dollies and moving heavy work benches/welding tables. You could probably call up a local welding shop and see where to find them.

-Matt

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
in case of a fire, you should not stick around to turn off the gas. you should go outside. The fire department will shut off gas from outside at the point of entry.

Again. YOu do NOT ever stick around to turn off the gas in the event of a fire. You leave. Have a general purpose fire extinguisher around in easy access and if that doesn't put out a very small fire, you pick up the phone, go outside and call 911. End of discussion. There is never. ever. ever. a reason to stay in the home and turn off the gas. there is a gas shutoff outside for a reason.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I assure you what you think is the main shutoff is not. The main is installed by the gas company and they do not install them indoors. You might have a shutoff in the closet, but it is not the main. If it is, contact the gas company. they will fix it(but again, it isn't the main).

The gas shutoff you see is what is used for repairs and such. The main outside is what the gas company uses to shut off your gas in event of fire, leak, or non payment. They have to have access to it 24/7 and it is THEIR property, not yours.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
I assure you what you think is the main shutoff is not. The main is installed by the gas company and they do not install them indoors. You might have a shutoff in the closet, but it is not the main. If it is, contact the gas company. they will fix it(but again, it isn't the main).

The gas shutoff you see is what is used for repairs and such. The main outside is what the gas company uses to shut off your gas in event of fire, leak, or non payment. They have to have access to it 24/7 and it is THEIR property, not yours.
I agree with you on locations. Gas "MAINS" are always located outside with the meter.

Although access is another story. A person could have a malfuctioning appliance and can "smell" the gas so needs to turn the service valve off, etc... So making sure his girlfriend has access could be quite important.

My Tanks
75 Gallon Planted Community Tank

Also run an LFS so I deal w/ over 30 tanks daily.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Im with overstocked on this one...if there is a fire or enough "gas smell" to notice you should be outside and letting the fire department mess with it...And I'm sure they can find a way to move the tank if need be

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode