diy co2 went awful - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
diy co2 went awful

I tried diy co2 for the first time and it didnt go at all as planned. My 2 liter filled completely with water because water went in from the tubing, which was placed in the filter intake of my hob filter. The top of the water got frothy after a few days so i realized some of the solution must be getting in the tank. i disconnected the c02 and am hesitant to try again. My plants have been suffering from algae and arent growing well, seemingly worse so with the co2. Is my diffusion method any good? how do i prevent water from gettin in the 2 liter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:33 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
you could install a check valve? I've never done DIY co2, but i know with my canister co2, i use a check valve...

And fill your 2 liter bottle up less if you dont want yeast getting into your tank
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
Did you use any check valves in your set up?

I've not tried diffusing with an HOB filter, but there's a lot of surface agitation associated with that style of filter, so i'd think you will be out-gassing a lot of the co2. Using a wooden airstone at the end of your airline tubing would work much better. Or, i've read many times of people using a piece of chopstick shoved into the end of the airline tubing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp #418: 2075, 2217
MARINELAND Pimp#5: C-220, H.O.T.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasterino View Post
I tried diy co2 for the first time and it didnt go at all as planned. My 2 liter filled completely with water because water went in from the tubing, which was placed in the filter intake of my hob filter. The top of the water got frothy after a few days so i realized some of the solution must be getting in the tank. i disconnected the c02 and am hesitant to try again. My plants have been suffering from algae and arent growing well, seemingly worse so with the co2. Is my diffusion method any good? how do i prevent water from gettin in the 2 liter?
that is why you have to use check valve, the one at pets mart isn't the best one but it should work fine, i been using this for over a year now and it seems to work very well. make sure you connect it correctly, if you blow on one side of the check valve you will find that the air wont go through it, you will hook up that side where it will block the water from entering, the other side if you blow in it then you will find that air passes through it and this side will hook up to the co2 bottle, so the co2 could reach to the tank.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752253
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
use a check valve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for people with passion for aquariums
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I wouldn't be hesitant to try DIY again. It's a good solution and just takes some adjustment.

Definitely get a check valve. Also, I'd try adding a smaller bottle filled 3/4 up with water as a bubble counter / slime catcher. That way you have your C02 Bottle > tubing into the smaller bottle, submerged in water > second tube out of the top of the bottle with a check valve on it going to the tank.

That way if any slime does make it out of your C02 bottles, it will end up in the water of the bubble counter. The check valve will prevent any water from backing up into the system.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode