Finally Built My CO2 Reactor - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Finally Built My CO2 Reactor

i have finally built my own REX style co2 reactor. waiting for the cement to dry up, anyone know how long it takes to dry up?

my previous Rex co2 reactor was not diffusing the co2 all the way, i think it was due to strong flow and smaller size of the pipe. i went with 1.50" pvc pipe instead of 1.75"
i did not want to go with the 2" pipe, i thought that smaller size will build more flowing pressure inside the reactor to diffuse the co2 at much faster rate. i also did not make it 18" - 20" long as most people preferred. i went with the 26"-28" long pvc pipe and i still have to drill a hole for the co2, what size should i go with?

now i will post the picture and result of the co2 soon as possible but someone please suggest which drill to use.

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:18 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
the air tube is 1/8"... so start with that drill bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (64/100%)
I'd use something a little smaller than 1/8"

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Most airline tubing is a lot bigger than 1/8 inch diameter. I suggest measuring the diameter of the tubing you will use, then using a drill bit that is about 1/32 smaller in diameter. If you can't pull the tubing into that size hole, increase the hole size by 1/64 inch and try again. Some tubing is pretty hard and would be hard to pull into a hole that is too undersized, but other tubing is soft enough to be easy to pull in.

Hoppy
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Most airline tubing is a lot bigger than 1/8 inch diameter. I suggest measuring the diameter of the tubing you will use, then using a drill bit that is about 1/32 smaller in diameter. If you can't pull the tubing into that size hole, increase the hole size by 1/64 inch and try again. Some tubing is pretty hard and would be hard to pull into a hole that is too undersized, but other tubing is soft enough to be easy to pull in.

thank you,

i am going to try the 1/8" first and see if it fits, i will post a picture of my co2 soon as am done.

thank you again

but one question, is my co2 going to work well on the rena xp2 filter. i went with a longer size compare to the older one, would this change anything in yours view.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

here are the pics

i know the pic quality is not good, but this is how it looks like. the co2 tube was pain in the A** to put it in the drilled hole, i still have to test out the co2 reactor to see if it leaks from anywhere. this is my first DIY co2 and i hope it will turn out to be good. the co2 tube was very tight, so i hope nothing leaks out of that. tell me what you guys think

oh what a mess i got the glue all over the reactor, next time i will be more careful.

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I don't see where the CO2 tube goes. Is it in the side of the top tee fitting?

Hoppy
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I don't see where the CO2 tube goes. Is it in the side of the top tee fitting?
i made a mistake by not adding co2 tubing in the beginning, anyway it goes on the top of the last pic you see.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
When I built mine I used a screw in style plug so that I could clean it out if needed and the tubing was a lot easier to get in.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am using a Fluval 304 on my 2" x 30" reactor and it works just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
thank you,

i am going to try the 1/8" first and see if it fits, i will post a picture of my co2 soon as am done.

thank you again

but one question, is my co2 going to work well on the rena xp2 filter. i went with a longer size compare to the older one, would this change anything in yours view.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
i made a mistake by not adding co2 tubing in the beginning, anyway it goes on the top of the last pic you see.
if you intend to put it on the plug in the top tee, good luck keeping it water tight. you really need to drill a hole quite a bit smaller than your tube, cut the tube at an angle, then pull it through inside the pipe, just as rex suggests. there is no way that your hole will be small enough if you can push the tube through it; you really need to pull it through to get a water tight seal.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

On mine I use a rigid tubing that I buy from Parker. I drilled and tapped my plug for the tube fitting which is a bulkhead fitting and it works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesm View Post
if you intend to put it on the plug in the top tee, good luck keeping it water tight. you really need to drill a hole quite a bit smaller than your tube, cut the tube at an angle, then pull it through inside the pipe, just as rex suggests. there is no way that your hole will be small enough if you can push the tube through it; you really need to pull it through to get a water tight seal.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

it works well

yeah i was able to pull the co2 tube into the drilled hole and it is super tight, the co2 is running for last 2 hours and there is no leak anywhere so far. the reactor is standing at 10:20 o'clock position, not sure if this would have any effect on the co2, at-least there are no micro bubbles coming out anymore.

the barbs were 3/4 in size which will not fit with the rena xp tubing, unless you use the lighter to make it fit and it is also very tight and there are no leaking.

the drop checker is showing green color in 2 hour 45 minutes.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

how much a difference does it make if you add bio balls, i could add bio balls in my reactor because i made it in such a way where the top could completely comes off and i could drop the bio balls in it. if it does make a big difference then please do let me know.

can i use this:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752375
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 06:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I don't use bio balls... I can't imagine it making a difference..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode