Paintball co2 setup - Will this work? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/94%)
Paintball co2 setup - Will this work?

So, looking into the whole nano co2 set up, I realized that you are kind of limited to the ADA, Pierce, Red Sea, and the Up Aqua one. And with those limits, you are limited to disposal cartridges for some of them, which ends up being QUITE expensive in the long run. So I thought to myself, is there anyway I can build a set up for less then $50? That is of course without a solenoid or having one scavenged from something broken (i.e. a paintball gun)

ADA: $249 plus shipping (proprietary cartridges)
Pierce: $55 on ebay (cartridges)
Up Aqua: $99.99 plus shipping on GLA (cartridges)
Red Sea: $174 plus shipping
Green NRG system: $115 plus shipping (cartridges and paintball tank)

Now the only one on that list that would be something I would look into is hte Pierce system. Although I think the bubble count and diffuser is butt ugly. I have nice spiffy glass ones already that I could replace them out with. But then you have the hassle of using disposal cartridges.

So, I was thinking about building something for the same price but using a paintball tank. I know there has been a bizzillion and one threads about this. But economically speaking, I would be spending just a little under what I could buy a Red Sea system or ADA system for. Not really money saving in my eyes.

So here are my thoughts:
I could get a little regulator off of ebay for $19.99 shipped

or

for $25.00 shipped

or

for $30 shipped

Get an adapter to paintball

or

Not sure what adapter I would need, but one is $18.99 and the other is $12.50

I can get a pure energy 20 oz tank on CL for $10-$15

So going the most expensive route, I would still be only spending $60 bucks on everything. I am not sure if this would work. So please let me know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ooh I like the sound of this. Subscribed.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 10:49 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
For the regulators that you posted, I would first check to make sure that they are compatible with the paintball canisters in North America. The Asian standard is different from North American standard.

Also, why are you getting an adapter? These are usually to go from a paintball canister to a normal CO2 regulator fitting (i.e. pin depressant to CGA320).

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I can't post the ebay links, but all of them are US standards but are made in China.

As for the adapter, I am unsure if the regulators would fit a paintball tank or if it will fit a standard tank. The adapters would actually take it from a regular tank, to a paintball tank as I found one on aquatouch and the other on a brewery site that stated that it is specifically to convert a regular to a paintball tank.

The first adapter is from aquatouch, and the regulator shown in the picture is almost an exact duplicate for some simple regulators that I found on ebay as well. As a matter of fact, there is an additional regulator I did not post that is $27 shipped that is the exact match to that regulator in the photo.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
This is a single gauge Azoo regulator. I've had it several months no problem. Sells for about $50 on ebay. I've never used an adaptor for paintball, but it works very well with my standard 2.5lb cylinder.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

As a note, I think the first adapter from aquatouch would actually work with the pierce regulator as well, making it able to be used as a paintball set up too.

I might have to check ebay on that regulator too houseofcards. Thanks.

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I found this one on ebay for $30 shipped as well. It appears to be the exact regulator for the pierce system. This will need an adapter. Thoughts?

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
It might work, although I am not sure how it will perform over a long run. I used a paintball setup for a while and it had a regular co2 regulator with the paintball adaptor. It costs higher that you do not want to spend (or else you would buy the ADA or pierce adaptors themselves), but I am not sure if those would fit the paintball adaptor. You can get a decent smith regulator from cyberweld.com for around $80 + the adaptor so about $100 for a more reliable kit for the long run for a reasonable price.

Patience is the name of the game.

|
|
|
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

What about this?

Cost on that regulator is $40 shipped

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:07 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
that azoo one looks like it also has a solenoid... Might be worth the 50 dollars. And you can find 5 pound tanks for not too much too.

I would hate running to a specialty paintball store every week or 2 just to fill my co2 tank. I have a 10 lb (i think, it's about 20 inchs by 6) and it seems like I'm going every other week (but in reality it's every few months :p)

just something to keep in mind. I can just see you buying 2 or 3 extra tanks so you don't have to fill them so often, and before you know it you've spent 60 dollars on multiple small tanks when you could have bought the bigger one for ~50.

also gas is cheaper when you fill a big tank at airgas as opposed to charging your paintball tanks at the paintball store.

but it's a tough decision!
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The Azoo one isn't on ebay Or else I would have gone for it.

I am currently bidding on some regular regulators that have the solenoids that aren't using the usual keywords in searches. So I hope to get that, but I really want something that is small and able to be hid for my 30C.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

AHA! I found the Azoo regulator but they want 73 plus shipping. MEH!

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor...sure-Regulator

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/92%)
This is certainly an interesting thread.

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook." -William James

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnikkistar View Post
AHA! I found the Azoo regulator but they want 73 plus shipping. MEH!

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor...sure-Regulator
You can get it for less on ebay, but shipping will take longer. Remember this little regulator has a solenoid so you can't really compare it to those others.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnikkistar View Post
What about this?

Cost on that regulator is $40 shipped
Not sure about this but the Azoo is better.

Patience is the name of the game.

|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode