DIY CO2 Bubble Count - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 Bubble Count

I just started a DIY CO2 setup for the first time a few hours ago. And I figured I'd get 1-3 bubble per second. That seems to be what everyone suggests they are getting. But it's been about 5 hours and I'm running at least 70 bps. I didn't even put in the full spoon of yeast. Why is my bubble count so high? I assume this means the mixture is going to run out in like a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
Well that is strange. It takes me at least two bottles of CO2 to get 2bps, if I use only one I get 1bubble per 4 seconds. Are you sure you are counting full sized bubbles? How are you diffusing it?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 03:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Recommended is 2 cups sugar to 1/2 teaspoon yeast.

Are you using fast rising yeast? That will burn out fast I believe.

How warm is the water in the yeast?

Ha ha, he he! DAncE whEn yoU're HAPppy! He he he! DAnce, danCE, DANCe!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Green024
70 bubbles per second? Not sure that's possible.
Try using these instructions for your recipe. Works perfectly for a batch to last two weeks if made correctly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pimp #420
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 05:26 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
70 bubbles per second (bps) also seems impossible to me. Surely, you mean 70 bubbles per minute (or about 1.16 bps?) This is about right for DIY CO2...

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, I didn't realize the bubble count was pre defuser. I was getting a constant flow of around 70bps from the bubble stone. So I guess that may be much less if you consider the bubbles entering the stone.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
How could you possibly count 70 bps?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm a mathematician, who used to work doing inventory in college. The combination mostly useless, but is kind of a perfect storm for being able to count things fast :-)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
None the less, 70bps would be nearly a constant stream and uncountable.

I can look at an iv drip set and be within 15/bpm for rates up to 180 bpm, but after that... it is what we refer to as wide open.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I said "at least 70" not "exactly 70". Of course I can't tell you exactly how many bubbles it is. Its a moving target, every fraction of a second is different than the one before. I'm just claiming a useful skill set. I'm not Rainman
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Green024
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbouche View Post
Ok, I didn't realize the bubble count was pre defuser. I was getting a constant flow of around 70bps from the bubble stone. So I guess that may be much less if you consider the bubbles entering the stone.
Soo what is your real bps then on this DIY setup? If you don't have a way to count it, you could try adding a second small bottle of just water like this,

The line coming from the reactor goes far enough into the smaller bottle of water to give you a visual of how many bps you are actually getting. If your mixture doesn't last all most two weeks, something is off. These instructions worked perfectly for myself.

Pimp #420
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I actually have it set up like that. I just have the small bottle as overflow, just in case the yeast backs up. I didn't add water. But I think I have enough hose to stretch down a little further. (5 minutes later...) It's just under 1bpm in the bottle. And boy does that stuff stunk. Not looking foward to changing the water. I went to a wine tasting today, and picked up some champagne yeast while I was there. So when this runs out I'll try it with the new yeast and see if there is a difference.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
How could you possibly count 70 bps?
Exactly. There is absolutely no way you could count anywhere near that fast. Secondly, your drop checker would just be filled with CO2, there would not be any way the drops would really separate the right way unless you are using something I have never seen before. It would just make a bunch of big bubbles, and displace whatever solution you had in the checker.

EDIT-I am getting that you are counting (or really just guessing) the amount of bubbles after they have been diffused). That isn't what most people refer to.

Secondly, bubble count is not important to compare to other people's setups. It is good for you to establish what level you are at an increase/decrease as needed (hard to do with DIY). You really only compare your rate to how things are growing, a drop checker, possibly your PH, and make adjustments using it as a guide to how much more/little co2 your are putting in. Depending on diffusion method, I may have 3bps and you may have 1 but we may have the same amount of co2 getting diffused in the water.

-Matt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode