Enclosure Ideas for 20" Fixture - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question Enclosure Ideas for 20" Fixture

So I am currently planning on scrapping an old incandescent hood and placing 2x13w 6500k spiral CFLs into it to light my 10gal. However, one thing that I want to do is hang the light. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any ideas for creating small hanging fixtures like I want to make.

In particular, I like the curved look of the ADA lights, so if I could emulate something to that effect, that would be wonderful. One thing that I want to see is some photos of the underside of some of these ADA lights, as I am unsure how they mount the lights to the curved inner surface. I assume the top of the light (the curved portion) is made of some sort of sheet metal, which should be easy enough to rig with ventilation holes and set up for hanging. Like I said, the only part that is tripping me up is the underside of the fixture.

If anyone has some photos of the undersides of ADA lights, or if you have any other ideas or creations for small hanging fixtures, I'd be glad to see them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 07:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
I stumbled onto a youtube video of a diy light fixture that I thought looked ADAish - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs_QRorECvo

With a little work, this could look pretty nice for cheap.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Indignation! This looks just like what I was looking for. Looks a little flimsy and large in profile, but something that I might be able to work off of if I decidedto go that route.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...t-fixture.html is a different way to suspend a light fixture above a 10 gallon tank. I'm still using this and it works very well. The disadvantage is that it is difficult to change the height of the light, compared to hanging it with chains.

Hoppy
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
I've seen people make some nice looking lights by ripping large PVC pipes in half to get the curved portions for the body.

You can also make small enclosures out of wood similar to what reefers use with a horizontal CF bulb.

If I was doing a fixture with spiral CF's, I'd probably rig some kind of dual pendant system with the bulb mounted vertically using simple cone shaped reflectors from Home Depot and the like. I think hoppy has some posts about a setup like that. It would be easy to go to Ikea and pick up a couple of nice looking pendants.

-Charlie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

@ Hoppy: that fixture you linked to reminds me vaugely of the ones that ADA has for the small cube gardens due to the conduit.

@ trackhazard: Ikea would be nice, if the closest one was not 2.5hours away. I don't know why they don't have one in Ohio, it would make sense to have one either in Cleveland or Columbus.

Strangely enough, I was changing lights today at work and found myself hunting to see if anything would be aquarium worthy. We had some cool 8W t5s that were pretty small (as in less than a foot, probably like 8"), but they were 4500K.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode