Mod Killer Ehiem 350 Skimmer for CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mod Killer Ehiem 350 Skimmer for CO2

Aye Hoi Hoi,

Complete noob here. I would like to get a little feedback on a couple of mods I have done for the skimmer and for my light hood. I will do a separate post for the hood. The skimmer killed 2 of my Cory Cats that I thought were a decent size. The power of this skimmer is dis proportionate for its size. Those poor cats didn't stand a chance. Made a grill to go over top using #7 mesh from huge crafts box store. The force of the water going through the mesh is enough that the floating head has been pulled down and now sits against the pump body. I therefore put the unit just below the waters surface where I now have a neat little vortex going. Amazing. Now the real mod. As it had killed it had to give life to balance out or I would throw it away. I want to use a diy CO2 but the diffuser seemed to be a problem. I did not want to introduce bubbles into my main filter due to a chance of cavitation. I would rather destroy a $30 pump over a $300 one. I had an old Marine non functioning led bubbler ( apparently quite common) laying around and after some thought ripped it apart and salvaged the inlet elbow. This was after a few other attempts to mount an inlet onto the 350. Turns out the part was perfect. I will try to post photos. I have only tested this in a sink but it seems to work flawlessly. The huge advantage is that when I shut the pump off the CO2 goes directly to the surface as an unbroken bubble where it then gives a very satisfying pop venting 99% of the gas to the air. When the pump is on, air bubbles introduced are smashed by the impeller and spit out. If I put the pump on a timer I will not have to try and remember/fight with valve to turn off gas. I'll just let it vent. Well that's my first attempt at an aquarium mod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0014.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	734410  

Name:	IMAG0015.jpg
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	734418  

Name:	IMAG0021.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	734426  

Name:	IMAG0022.jpg
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	734434  

Name:	IMAG0025.jpg
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	734442  

Name:	IMAG0035.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	734450  

Name:	IMAG0042.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	734458  

Name:	IMAG0043.jpg
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	734522  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode