DIY Fish Food - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
DIY Fish Food

I'm gonna make my own jello fish food for my Fancy Guppies and Red Cherry Shrimp... I just wanted to see if anyone thought my stuff was safe. I think the ingredients are good to go, but I'm not sure if the vitamins and minerals are over-kill due to the spirulina. I think they will be very minimal in each chunk out of the batch, but I'm not sure:

--Ingredients--
Organic Baby Spinach, Organic Carrots, Headless White Shrimp, Spirulina, Garlic, Distilled Water, Gelatin.

--Approximate Analysis per Batch--

25g protein
40mcg Lutein
15,527 IU vitamin A
30mcg vitamin K1
17mg vitamin C
1.75mcg Thiamin
4.5mcg Vitamin B12
112mg Calcium
5.95mg Iron
7.5mg Magnesium
0.2mg Manganese
20mcg Chromium
90mg Sodium
30mg potassium
120mg C-Phycocyanin
16mg Gamma Linolenic Acid
15mg Chlorophyll A
7.5mg total Carotenoids
4.5mg Zeaxanthin
540units Superoxide Dismutase

PLUS ANY ADDITIONAL NATURALLY OCCURRING ANTIOXIDANTS, VITAMINS, AND MINERALS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Uh... well I made it anyways... I hope it isn't too poisonous. The guppies didn't like it much, but the RCS got really excited when I dropped a small chunk. But the small chunk didn't sink so I had to drop in a full sized cube.

Originally I wanted to only use one packet of the jello, but it looked really thin and not enough so I added the whole box which increased the protein content and made it kinda thick, so hopefully it is easy to pick apart for the RCS.

post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
It looks quite tasty. When I had SW fish and a reef tank, I made my own fish food. No gelatin, I just froze it in mini cube shapes.
Looks like you have a good recipe though.

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It looks kinda gross, BUT it did smell good! Lol. It smelled just a little too grassy for my taste. I might've tried some, but there is some raw shrimp in there that is probably not Sashimi Grade.

I was thinking about freezing it without the jello, but I was concerned about the slosh flying everywhere in the tank and I wouldn't be able to watch the shrimp eat or pick out the leftovers.
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Looks like you have a winner. This is a pretty good idea and one i'd forgotten about years ago with my saltwater tank as well.

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Any bottom feeders would love that.

You might tempt the carnivores with more fish meat. You can buy cheap fillets and put that in the mix.

And you can freeze what's left.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 02:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
That does look quite yummy, actually. I wanna try it.

Ha ha, he he! DAncE whEn yoU're HAPppy! He he he! DAnce, danCE, DANCe!

post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I don't think it looks so tasty, but it does smell a bit yummy if it wasn't so veggie smelling.

Well anyways, I guess I shoud've not used so much gelatin, they are still working on it and doesn't look like they put much of a dent in it lol. Well next time I will follow the same recipe I made except with just one or two packets of jello instead. Maybe I'll have to moosh the cubes a little so they are smaller bits and hope they sink.
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looks pretty neat. Have you ever tried making flake fish food? Im guessing youd have to put it in a container and let it evaporate in the sun or something?
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 04:39 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
I make my own shrimp food, with a similar ingredient list... However mine is dehydrated without gelatin, and has a bit more ingredients specifically for shrimp health. That does look good!

Anything with spirulina in it will take shrimp forever to eat. You know how they pick through everything? Well, they pick each SPEC of spirulina up individually, I find if I put too much spirulina in my own shrimp food mix, they'll also graze on it for a very long time, I don't think it's because of your gelatin.
post #11 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
I make my own shrimp food, with a similar ingredient list... However mine is dehydrated without gelatin, and has a bit more ingredients specifically for shrimp health. That does look good!

Anything with spirulina in it will take shrimp forever to eat. You know how they pick through everything? Well, they pick each SPEC of spirulina up individually, I find if I put too much spirulina in my own shrimp food mix, they'll also graze on it for a very long time, I don't think it's because of your gelatin.
Ohh how do you make dry food? All I see online are gel or frozen. I was thinking of using the same ingredients, then adding some extra baby rice cereal I had since it is basically enriched rice flour... but it looks very minerally.

So it is the spirulina? I suppose so since everything else I feed them goes away fast especially plain baby spinach.
post #12 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 03:32 PM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
I dry the food in a dehydrator after making it into strips. I should do a walkthrough.

if ever you doubt how slow they eat spirulina, just drop a solid 500 mg pill of it into a tank. I think it's particle size and also that it's so filling. I eat spirulina in my morning smoothie!
post #13 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
If you have a convection oven, it does dehydration pretty well.

I think I'll start making another batch soon too. I'll have to try to make the gelatin and dehydrated version. The gelatin helps bind things together so it won't make a mess but it breaks down and spoil pretty easily. So I guess you can freeze the dehydrated food too. The commercial food companies put in wheat to bind the food together, not exactly a natural food source for fish but it works.

post #14 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
I dry the food in a dehydrator after making it into strips. I should do a walkthrough.

if ever you doubt how slow they eat spirulina, just drop a solid 500 mg pill of it into a tank. I think it's particle size and also that it's so filling. I eat spirulina in my morning smoothie!
Yes, please make a guide when you have some free time! I don't have a dehydrator, but I made beef jerky for my dog in a regular stove oven thingy. I did not buy the pill, I bought the powder stuff. I'm not sure if I want to eat spirulina, but it could make me healthier since I'm pretty unhealthy. I just need to figure out how to make it taste good, since I really don't eat anything that doesnt taste good lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
If you have a convection oven, it does dehydration pretty well.

I think I'll start making another batch soon too. I'll have to try to make the gelatin and dehydrated version. The gelatin helps bind things together so it won't make a mess but it breaks down and spoil pretty easily. So I guess you can freeze the dehydrated food too. The commercial food companies put in wheat to bind the food together, not exactly a natural food source for fish but it works.
I had a feeling it was the wheat stuff, like regular flour? I have regular all-purpose flour but it is enriched.
post #15 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Soylent Green is people.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode