2Likes
  • 2 Post By johnson18
  • 2 Post By johnson18

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Stands!

I've been wanting to build some new stands to use as tank racks. I've got one corner of my room to use. Currently I've got a four foot long section of Lundia shelving that holds three tanks: a 55 & 20 long emersed tank, along with a 20H that used to house my Tillandsia collection. I thought about building an L shaped shelving unit but decided since I will probably only be in this house another year that two separate units would be easier to move and more versatile in the future.

So..... here's what I'm building with the help of my dad since he has way more woodworking experience than I do! I'm building two 4ft long, 2ft deep stands that will have one bottom shelf just off the floor and the top shelf will be about 38inch high. They are being built out of 2x4s and will be topped with 3/4in AC plywood. I will be putting a couple coats of exterior paint on everything. The paint hasn't been purchased. I figured I'd wait a few more days to see if any new mismixed paint shows up at lowes/Home Depot.

I plan on using these to house my emersed tanks, which I will be switching the 55 for a 40 breeder, as well as my 17g Mr. Aqua, a 10 or 20g quarantine tank, & will probably set up a couple other small tanks, including a little cube. I'm sure over time the tank selection on these stands will vary as my particular interests change. If everything goes well with this build, I plan on starting another stand build for my 55 almost immediately. The stand my 55 is currently on is a cheap pet store stand that's as old as the tank(1994??) and is starting to die.

I read through a bunch of different stand build threads on here before deciding on a design & adapting it for my purpose. These things are gonna weigh a ton & be super overbuilt but that's pretty much standard for home built tank stands!

I was definitely inspired by @Dou's custom stand!!

This is the stand I decided to pretty much copy the design of... it is a fairly standard build & I happened to have this picture saved. I'm sorry that I can credit the builder as I don't remember who it was!! Whoever's picture this is, Thank you! I hope you don't mind that I've reused the image here!

Yesterday I picked up 21 2x4x96 boards & 1 full sheet of AC plywood.

Today we've made a pattern for the screw holes and are predrilling holes in certain boards. The plywood hasn't been cut to size yet but that will probably happen today as well. I'm not sure if we'll finish but the assembly will definitely begin today as well.

I've got a really bad back(I'll be having surgery as soon as my semester is over.) I can only do so much in a day & this kind of thing is quite taxing. I would expect these two stands to be done by the end of the week.

I will add more pictures as I we move along in the build process!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK Club #24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Yesterday's progress. We got all of the pieces ready & put together. At the end of the day we set all of the different pieces together for the first stand. We've started attaching them today. Should have at least one stand finished today, besides painting. I'm gonna have to go check out the mismixed paint again today or tomorrow. If there's no exterior paint that isn't hideous, I'll just have something mixed up. The price difference really isn't that much more. I'm currently just over $100 for the two stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
seandelevan and seandelevan like this.

RAOK Club #24

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode