(FIXED) Rex Reactor and Cerges Reactor Questions - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Palm Bay
Posts: 436
(FIXED) Rex Reactor and Cerges Reactor Questions

Hi all, I have a few questions about both of these reactors.

Rex Grigg Reactor,
How do you guys connect the the hose barb fittings to the PVC reducer?
I have tried teflon with the fitting screwed all the way down and the thing still leaks like crazy.

Cerges Reactor,
Do you guys have a load of micro bubbles in your tank with this setup?
I have an 11" tube running all the way to the bottom of mine and I still get the micro bubbles I have tried regular PVC and PVC hose and they both do the same thing.

Last edited by Quesenek; 08-22-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Quesenek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
happi's Avatar
 
PTrader: (21/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 3,139
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
am going through the same problem with my rex co2 reactor as same as your cerges reactor, but however mine don't leak from anywhere. i think the problem is due to strong flow or PVC pipe being too small. i am going to upgrade to longer PVC and see what are the results.
happi is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:35 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
nokturnalkid's Avatar
 
PTrader: (83/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: HI, but Pueblo, CO for now
Posts: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post
Hi all, I have a few questions about both of these reactors.

Rex Grigg Reactor,
How do you guys connect the the hose barb fittings to the PVC reducer?
I have tried teflon with the fitting screwed all the way down and the thing still leaks like crazy.

Cerges Reactor,
Do you guys have a load of micro bubbles in your tank with this setup?
I have an 11" tube running all the way to the bottom of mine and I still get the micro bubbles I have tried regular PVC and PVC hose and they both do the same thing.
That's wierd that it leaks with teflon. Check the threads on the bushing and the barb and make sure they are not knicked or anything. That could cause a leak. Try some none hardening pipe dope along with some teflon. That should solve it.

For cerges reactor, I get some bubbles but not many. I put a foam prefilter on the pvc pipe that leads to the outflow. This may need to be cleaned every so often just to prevent gunk buildup. The reason I put that prefilter is that I doubled this reactor as a purigen reactor also.
nokturnalkid is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Palm Bay
Posts: 436
Thanks guys.
I'm going to go out and buy some pipe dope and new barb fittings tomorrow and see where that gets me.
One other thing. When using teflon is it normal for it to disappear when you unscrew the fitting? When I unscrewed my barb fitting it looked like there wasn't ever any on there. Does that mean I'm putting it on too thin?
Quesenek is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:57 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
nokturnalkid's Avatar
 
PTrader: (83/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: HI, but Pueblo, CO for now
Posts: 1,241
You may have to put on a little more. Around 5-6x around should be plenty. Don't put too much because you can crack the bushing. Believe me, I've done it. The pvc doesn't exactly disappear. It get's compressed in between the threads and turns into a slightly harder material. It kinda feels and looks like stretched plastic grocery bags, just a bit firmer.
nokturnalkid is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
happi's Avatar
 
PTrader: (21/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 3,139
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post
Thanks guys.
I'm going to go out and buy some pipe dope and new barb fittings tomorrow and see where that gets me.
One other thing. When using teflon is it normal for it to disappear when you unscrew the fitting? When I unscrewed my barb fitting it looked like there wasn't ever any on there. Does that mean I'm putting it on too thin?
if you applied it just 1-2 round around the barbs then that might not be enough and that is why you might see the leak. i applied 6-7 times around the barbs on mine and there was no leak. try that first and see what happen. the barbs should also go in easily even after applying that much Teflon.

good luck
happi is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Palm Bay
Posts: 436
Yeah I don't think I put that much on maybe 3x.
Quote:
Don't put too much because you can crack the bushing. Believe me, I've done it.
I cannot believe I could crack a 2" bushing but I don't want to find out so i'll take your word for it lol.

One other thing is with pipe dope + teflon do I just need to paint on a little pipe dope and wrap the teflon 5-6x, or would I just need the pipe dope?
Quesenek is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 03:19 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
nokturnalkid's Avatar
 
PTrader: (83/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: HI, but Pueblo, CO for now
Posts: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post
Yeah I don't think I put that much on maybe 3x.

I cannot believe I could crack a 2" bushing but I don't want to find out so i'll take your word for it lol.

Didn't think I could do that too.
nokturnalkid is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Palm Bay
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokturnalkid View Post
Didn't think I could do that too.
Well I was just reading a thread where they were saying the female threads taper so I can totally see how that can happen now.
Quesenek is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (84/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 21,015
You shouldn't use both pipe dope and teflon tape. In fact the manufacturers of plastic fittings strongly recommend not using teflon tape with them, just use pipe dope. Teflon tape works by reducing the friction between the threads, allowing you to tighten them much further. But, that puts too much stress on plastic fittings. Pipe dope fills in the voids to stop tiny leaks, but doesn't have much effect on friction.

Hoppy
Hoppy is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Palm Bay
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
You shouldn't use both pipe dope and teflon tape. In fact the manufacturers of plastic fittings strongly recommend not using teflon tape with them, just use pipe dope. Teflon tape works by reducing the friction between the threads, allowing you to tighten them much further. But, that puts too much stress on plastic fittings. Pipe dope fills in the voids to stop tiny leaks, but doesn't have much effect on friction.
So would I still be able to tighten the fittings down enough with just the pipe dope? Without the teflon just bare fittings I can only screw them down about 1/3 of the way before I can't budge it anymore.
Quesenek is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Algae Grower
 
DevonCloud's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 107
Most likely you could. I used teflon on mine and tightened it down with an open-end wrench. It can be tricky knowing when it's tight enough, but my reactor has been running for months with no leaks and awesome diffusing rate. I'm assuming it's leaking from the bottom fitting? Also, as Nokturnal mentioned, check to make sure there's no damage to the threads on the fitting or reducer.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DevonCloud is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Palm Bay
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonCloud View Post
Most likely you could. I used teflon on mine and tightened it down with an open-end wrench. It can be tricky knowing when it's tight enough, but my reactor has been running for months with no leaks and awesome diffusing rate. I'm assuming it's leaking from the bottom fitting? Also, as Nokturnal mentioned, check to make sure there's no damage to the threads on the fitting or reducer.
Yeah it's the bottom lol.
Quesenek is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Palm Bay
Posts: 436
Update Double post:
I got the pipe dope yesterday and put my Rex reactor back together with no leaks to speak of so that is good.

I also want to know how long it takes for the air to escape it's been running about 9 hours and with the Co2 on and off I still get bubbles which leads me to believe the air is still there. Should I leave my Co2 off until I see no bubbles?
Quesenek is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
nokturnalkid's Avatar
 
PTrader: (83/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: HI, but Pueblo, CO for now
Posts: 1,241
It may take a while for the air to escape. If your tubing is long enough, flip the reactor upside down. That will get rid of the extra air instantly.
nokturnalkid is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome