Rex co2 reactor - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Rex co2 reactor

is anyone here building one of these and selling them. i would like to buy the one with clear pvc pipe, my old rex co2 reactor is not diffusing the co2 all the way due to smaller size i think. the tiny small bubbles comes out and looks like they did not get diffused all the way. i use Rena xp2 filter and i don't know if the flow is too strong etc.

please do let me know if anyone could build one for me because am not very good at DIY stuff. and please do let me know how much you would charge in total including shipping.

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 12:50 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have one built out of just regular PVC and it works flawlessly. You nearly double the cost going with the clear PVC. Rex still sells them doesn't he? If not, I can vouch that the hardest part with setting one up is literally the splicing into your filter lines. Everything else is just PVC cement and Teflon tape.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonCloud View Post
I have one built out of just regular PVC and it works flawlessly. You nearly double the cost going with the clear PVC. Rex still sells them doesn't he? If not, I can vouch that the hardest part with setting one up is literally the splicing into your filter lines. Everything else is just PVC cement and Teflon tape.
i was thinking about building one but some questions comes to my mind.
where do i find the PVC pipe, am sure home depot or lowes don't sell them. and how do you add the co2 tubing piece into the PVC pipe without worrying about the leak, the one that you put into the pipe by making a hole in it. could someone explain this because i did not understand it when i was walking through rex posted thread.

but i really prefer if someone could just build me one, it would be really nice of you.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
You can find clear pvc from several online retailers. Just google it and there are a number of links. The toughest part is going to be finding someone who sells it by the ft. instead of 10ft lengths.

The reason rex's input pipe doesn't leak is because the whole that is drilled is a few mm smaller than the tubing. The tubing itself creates an air/water tight seal since it is compressed a bit and conforms to the drilled hole. Off the top of my head, with clippard tubing, an 11/64" hole works for this connection.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokturnalkid View Post
You can find clear pvc from several online retailers. Just google it and there are a number of links. The toughest part is going to be finding someone who sells it by the ft. instead of 10ft lengths.

The reason rex's input pipe doesn't leak is because the whole that is drilled is a few mm smaller than the tubing. The tubing itself creates an air/water tight seal since it is compressed a bit and conforms to the drilled hole. Off the top of my head, with clippard tubing, an 11/64" hole works for this connection.

can i just use regular co2 pipe to put that piece into the co2 reactor or is it a different thing. please do send me a link if there is any clear PVC available online which i need, i think it suppose to be 1.75" and i don't know how the store would name theirs in size. because i searched for 1.75" pvc pipe and did not find anything.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

What do you mean by co2 pipe? If that's co2 rated tubing, then yes. Most people that sell co2 tubing sell the clippard brand tubing. It's thicker and doesn't let co2 leak through like silicone tubing will. Just google "clear pvc". There's a bunch of retailers. The only thing is that they usually sell it in 10ft sections. There are some retailers that sell it by the foot but you just have to look for it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
What do you mean by co2 pipe? If that's co2 rated tubing, then yes. Most people that sell co2 tubing sell the clippard brand tubing. It's thicker and doesn't let co2 leak through like silicone tubing will. Just google "clear pvc". There's a bunch of retailers. The only thing is that they usually sell it in 10ft sections. There are some retailers that sell it by the foot but you just have to look for it.

http://www.clearpvcpipe.com/

that is all i found but did not find 1.75" pipe
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 02:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
http://www.clearpvcpipe.com/

that is all i found but did not find 1.75" pipe
Yep, there you go. You could find 2" pipe and make your reactor shorter. Btw, what are the dimension's of your reactor? If you are using 1.75" pipe, the length of your reactor could be the reason why there are bubbles escaping.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 02:07 AM
ER9
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
you dont need clear pvc. use clear acrylic. it easily welds to pvc with a general thermoplastic cement. its easier to find and alot cheaper. all you really need is the strait section clear. you could weld it to regular pvc elbows etc...

Last edited by ER9; 08-14-2010 at 02:09 AM. Reason: alien abduction...they made me edit it or else all the words donkies would be turned into gecko's
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Yep, there you go. You could find 2" pipe and make your reactor shorter. Btw, what are the dimension's of your reactor? If you are using 1.75" pipe, the length of your reactor could be the reason why there are bubbles escaping.
i got mine from rex and i think his standard co2 reactor is 18" long, so i think mine is about 18" long also. now i don't think am going to pay $65 just for that 2" clear pipe and neither do i need 10 feet pipe. there gotta be another way, this is too expensive. looks like am gonna have to go with the regular pipe. darn it

i have came across with this website and i don't know where to go next.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/categories/Plumbing/138/-1
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just out of curiosity, why the need for the clear PVC, other then to watch the reaction? Aside from that, it offers no real benefit. As Nokturnal mentioned, by drilling the hole in the side of the reactor just slightly smaller then the tubing will seal it. If you're particularly concerned with a leak, just run a bead of silicone sealant around it.

I printed Rex's guide out, went to Lowes, and walked out with everything for the reactor for around $20.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode