Ideas for an Aquarium on Wheels? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ideas for an Aquarium on Wheels?

I recently built a 3 high stand/wet bar for 10g tanks. I wanted them to sit very flush with the cabinet, so I left very little room between each aquarium and the shelf above. There is a port for food to drop in in the back, but as they are mostly used as quarentine tanks, it was a little oversight on my part not to leave more room to get a net in there. However, fortunately the painted frame is slick enough to slide the tanks in and out a few inches easily.

Anyway, this isn't really a DIY instructional, it's more a question. I've got 2x 29 gallon aquariums I plan to use for grow out for large cichlid fry. I want to do the same kind of thing with a stacked cabinet where the tank it pretty much flush with the frame. But no way can I slide the bottom 29G aquarium on a wood frame without some mechanical assistance. So i'd like to build a sliding drawer that the aquarium would go in and out on.

I've looked around for drawer slides, which seems to make the most since, but 300lb drawer slides appear to be over $100. It seems like there should be a cheaper solution. The drawer slide is expensive because it has to support 300lbs of torque where the drawer extends, but I don't mind just making a base that comes an extra 12 inches away from the stand so the tank can slide along it all the way. Really I just need some kind of wheels or ball barings that will make the tank follow a consistent path along the base of the stand where is sits (ala Egyptians moving blocks for the pyramids along rollng logs). Sorry that explaination was so long. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
No cheap brainstorm ideas for slides, but do you plan to anchor the stand to the floor/wall? I'd be concerned about the stability of the unit with a 29g extended out from the main stand.

IMO it would be much easier, smarter and cheaper to just add some space above the lower 29g to allow for access, maintenance etc.

<edit> Perhaps you could build a stand to hold the upper 29g that incorporates legs that just straddle the lower tank. Build a platform on a fixed casters for the lower 29g that would allow it to roll forward from under the stand. Hope that makes sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
+1 Jinx

In the beginning: DUKES 55g

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DUKES Fluval Edge

Last edited by MlDukes; 08-11-2010 at 03:48 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
I imagine the water sloshing around a lot whenever you slide the tank. I wonder if the water would easily slosh right out of the tank and also exert a lot of stress on the tank seems.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
+1 to Jinx's idea. Add handles to the wheeled platform, so you can pull it out without pulling on the tank itself.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 01:18 AM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I don't think this is a great idea to be honest, I always heard that any stress from water moving can ruin the seals on the aquarium. They aren't built to be sturdy. Only to hold water.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If I wanted to try this it would only be in a location where dumping that much water on the floor wouldn't be a problem. It might work for monthly maintenance, but if you slid the tank out every day to feed the fish or fertilize the plants, the tank would never last very long (in my opinion).

Hoppy
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, it wouldn't slide out every day. I'd just like to have easy access to the top for things like adding plants and driftwood, aquascaping type tasks that may be hard to accomlish through a small front gap. I can't imagine slowing sliding out the aquarium on casters in a track would cause that much stress on the seals. That's why I was looking it to something like drawer slides, because rolling the tank on wheels on carpet would be pretty jerky.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I'd honestly just design the rack with enough space above the lower tank to do maintenance. Maybe just place some removable wood trim to gain close to the look you want.

As you mention, casters on carpet likely won't work well, and neither would any splashing or spillover for that matter.

Other than that I think only option would be to buy the drawer slides and secure the stand well to the floor and/or wall to be able to support the tank when extended.

I just don't think building DIY a track/roller system is very feasible for the weight and space limitations that you're most likely wanting to stay within.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ditto the other responses. While you might be able to do something with commercial products (300 lb capacity drawer slides) I do not see a DIY solution here. I am looking at my 29 gallon tank as I type this, trying to imagine sliding it forward and back on its shelf.
Gotta move it slow and smooth so the water does not slosh around.
The support must stay plumb, level and square to completely support the tank with no twisting.
The only way I see this happening is on a smooth floor (lino, hardwood) with the 2-separate-shelf idea. The lower shelf rolls out, complete and intact. Legs, wheels... And just happens to nest under the upper shelf.

Maybe... gotta look into it...

They make a pick up truck tool system where the whole bed of the truck is covered by a second level, perhaps 6-8" high, then a drawer or shelf is installed on the original bed and rolls out to give access to the tools. I would assume this is a pretty strong item, it needs to roll out quite far to access the tools, and often tools can be pretty heavy.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I know from experience that the weak point with drawer slides is the attachment of the slides to the cabinet pieces - the drawers and the inside of the cabinet. All of those slides I have found come with short sheet metal screws, and you use no more than 3-4 of those screws to attach the slides. It takes a very short time before those screws allow the slides to sag - a catastrophe for this type of use. If I wanted do this I would make sure to use through bolts to attach the slides, and as many of them as there are mounting holes in the pieces. I once had to redo a kitchen cabinet drawer installation about 4-5 times before the family I was doing it for finally gave up storing a drawer full of canned vegetables in that drawer.

Hoppy
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 08:03 PM

Here this may help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1StlWRE68Hk
Its a project that I am currently working on. I hope this helps a little

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode