• 2 Post By Berich01
  • 4 Post By Attackturtle
  • 2 Post By MtAnimals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wood strength

Hi guys! I wanna build a tank in my room upstairs, i dont want the entire weight of the tank on my floor boards, i have had heavier things on the floor before so i know it will hold the weight but still i dont want all of weight on the floor just for extra precaution. So as you can see by my design i want to use 2 heavy duty wall brackets to take the weight at one end of the take, taking half the weight of the aquarium, off of my floor. 1 bracket can take 250kg alone so 2 is more than enough. The extended 'foot' at the bottom of the supporting legs will be to spread the remainder of the weight over more than 1 floor board. My questions are 1. what are you thoughts on the design, sound safe? 2. ill be using 2x4s so will 6ft 2x4s support the weight of the tank without a supporting leg in the middle? I kind of need to not have a supporting leg in the middle, i need that space free and open. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png526912.png
Views:	91
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	725642  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 07:54 PM
Planted Member

This might be something you want to get on an engineering forum for. I would do the math on the weight fully stocked with water and hardscape too.

On this forum you may get different responses from different people based on their location and I see you are in the UK. In the US, Building code can vary state to state and even county to county in earthquake zones so assumptions on wall and floor strength may be incorrect in responses you receive.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berich01 View Post
Hi guys! I wanna build a tank in my room upstairs, i dont want the entire weight of the tank on my floor boards, i have had heavier things on the floor before so i know it will hold the weight but still i dont want all of weight on the floor just for extra precaution. So as you can see by my design i want to use 2 heavy duty wall brackets to take the weight at one end of the take, taking half the weight of the aquarium, off of my floor. 1 bracket can take 250kg alone so 2 is more than enough. The extended 'foot' at the bottom of the supporting legs will be to spread the remainder of the weight over more than 1 floor board. My questions are 1. what are you thoughts on the design, sound safe? 2. ill be using 2x4s so will 6ft 2x4s support the weight of the tank without a supporting leg in the middle? I kind of need to not have a supporting leg in the middle, i need that space free and open. Thank you!
I think the attachment to the wall will fail.you'd be much better off with legs on either end,and one in the middle along with 2x4 's along the bottom to spread the load,instead of the 2 x 4's hanging out past the stand on the end.you'll end up tripping over those or at least stubbing your toe a lot.

something more like this:
http://richinscarpentry.com/blog/wp-...isplay-010.jpg

or,alternatively,you could use cinder blocks under the stand,and even paint them.I'm more of a fan of a proper stand.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtAnimals View Post
I think the attachment to the wall will fail.you'd be much better off with legs on either end,and one in the middle along with 2x4 's along the bottom to spread the load,instead of the 2 x 4's hanging out past the stand on the end.you'll end up tripping over those or at least stubbing your toe a lot.

or,alternatively,you could use cinder blocks under the stand,and even paint them.I'm more of a fan of a proper stand.
The whole thing will be built into a stud wall anyway so you wont actually see or be able to trip on any of the legs or surrounding wood work
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
The whole thing will be built into a stud wall anyway so you wont actually see or be able to trip on any of the legs or surrounding wood work
in that case,I'd run a 2x4 on edge from one end to the other both top and bottom,and a support stud on each end and 2 more between,2 ft centers.that will spread the load over a 6 foot area and avoid too much weight in one spot.

If it's all built into a wall,then it will all be covered by sheetrock anyway.(or wallboard if you prefer to call it that).But I would definitely have a full frame under it for support.

I'm not a structural engineer,but I'd rather overbuild a little to be sure.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 05:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I'd use 2x6 for the main span.
6ft and only 250L (66gal)???
What are all the dimensions?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 11:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:

i want to use 2 heavy duty wall brackets to take the weight at one end of the take,

ill be using 2x4s so will 6ft 2x4s support the weight of the tank without a supporting leg in the middle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtAnimals View Post
I think the attachment to the wall will fail.you'd be much better off with legs on either end

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
@Berich01 Don't favor the wall brackets much.

@MtAnimals That link to a plywood stand is pretty nice. Changes my future thinking a bit, since I have MTS.

@jeffkrol I agree with the 2x6, not that 2x4 would not hold the weight but 2x6 would eliminate any flex.

What are the dims on this 6' tank, I almost want one.
Can't be too deep and easy to plant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 12:33 PM
Planted Member

I totally agree with all the replies. I'm no engineer either so I always go overboard for strength. My two cents: I have built many structures over my lifetime. What I have learned is not to trust a support which relies upon a fastener for support. Supports really need to be wood on top of wood, never wood fastened to another piece on the side. The wall mounted support needs to go all the way to the floor and then to spread out the weight it should sit on top of a horizontal piece of lumber. Given the massive weight of a 240 I'd want to know what was under the floor as well.

Brian Rodgers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
@Berich01 Don't favor the wall brackets much.

@MtAnimals That link to a plywood stand is pretty nice. Changes my future thinking a bit, since I have MTS.

@jeffkrol I agree with the 2x6, not that 2x4 would not hold the weight but 2x6 would eliminate any flex.

What are the dims on this 6' tank, I almost want one.
Can't be too deep and easy to plant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rodgers View Post
I totally agree with all the replies. I'm no engineer either so I always go overboard for strength. My two cents: I have built many structures over my lifetime. What I have learned is not to trust a support which relies upon a fastener for support. Supports really need to be wood on top of wood, never wood fastened to another piece on the side. The wall mounted support needs to go all the way to the floor and then to spread out the weight it should sit on top of a horizontal piece of lumber. Given the massive weight of a 240 I'd want to know what was under the floor as well.
The dimensions are 72w 12d 18h so yeh its a long tank but not actually that big and heavy.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 02:21 PM
Algae Grower

The problem I see with anchoring one side of the stand to the concrete (besides putting all that weight on just wall anchors) is that that end of the stand will NOT move whatsoever, whereas the end of the stand sitting on the floor above wooden joists will probably have some movement in it. That will create uneven movement in the stand, which could compromise the integrity of the tank. It would be better to have the whole thing sitting on the floor.

If you don't want to have a leg in the middle of the tank, then use 2x6's as the upper cross supports under the tank. They will be much less likely to have any flex in them, and would only cost a few dollars more than 2x4's anyways.

A 250L tank isn't heavy enough to worry about needing to anchor into concrete. The floor joists should be able to hold that weight without any issues, especially if the tank is near any outside walls, or above any walls in the rooms below it.

Fluval Spec 5gal: Betta tank(A. nana, M. pteropus, C. Wendtii(?), E. argentinensis)
7.5gal rimless cube - S. repens, L. brasiliensis, A. reineckii "mini", R. wallichii - dry started 3/11, flooded 3/25 - will eventually become a shrimp tank (probably CRS or RCS)
10gal - S. repens, L. brasiliensis, A. reineckii "mini", R. wallichii (left over from 7.5gal dry start), C. wendtii, E. argentinensis
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You're talking 250L, not gallons. That's really not that much weight for the floor of any building that's been built to modern building code in the last several decades, I would think. Unless you have a specific reason not to trust the weight bearing capability of the spot you plan to place the tank I don't think there is any reason not to just build an adequate stand without tying it to the wall. With a 72" x 12" footprint you will probably have well under 1lb/sq. inch load on the floor. Would you be uncomfortable having four 200lb people standing next to each other in the room?

I have a 125g tank that is 72" x 18" on a well constructed stand made out of 1" x 6" pine and maple and as it is placed near where the floor joists tie into the wall I don't worry about it a bit.

The bottom line is YOU have to be able to sleep at night with whatever you decide to do, not me.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 04:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I was amazed to see banks of 250L tanks supported on nothing more than thin extruded rectangular aluminium tubing at a fish farm I visited... The guy had banks full of wooden stands he threw out because they rot.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If the wall mounts are fitted properly they will support the weight of the tank.

but if you have it sitting on a wooden floor instead of concrete, the floor will bend and put stresses on the stand, brackets and tank leading to a wet floor..
if the floor is solid concrete I wouldn't worry about putting all the weight on the floor and wouldn't make it needlessly complex.

I might be dutch but I don't have a dutch scape.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode